Fix a Program details

SciFiGeek

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fix a Program details

Post by SciFiGeek » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:05 pm

Cartoon Network / Adult Swim pulled an April fools joke and aired the Rick and Morty season 3 Premier repeatedly April 1, 2017 beginning at 8:00 but had other half hour programs in there guide information. We discovered this too late to do anything other than just record one of the other shows in the guide.... I dug into the appropriate article and EPG123 xmf file but that is a serious amount of figuring and jiggering to figure out on your first round... at about 90 minutes in I threw in the towel.

So now I have an episode of "Rick And Morty" Season 3 Episode 1 labeled "Samurai Jack". Last night, I did manage to edit the file properties for season, description and series. WMC native Recorded TV still has the original information displayed. Recorded TV HD eventually picked it up, more than 5 minutes and less than an hour. Since I also renamed the file, I am assuming Recorded TV is the result of another file scan and reads different tags than Recorded TV HD. But that is more of a guess assumption.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix it? I do mostly use Recorded TV HD but if I use an extender it doesn't seem to work and sometimes you have to use it, for example checking the copy once flag.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Here are instructions for editing the metadata in a WTV file:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 062#p98062

If you have trouble finding the download, look a couple posts down in that thread.

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:51 am

Thank you. I actually found that download tool previous to my original post. The other way to edit the file is to move it out of the Media Center directory and edit the file properties with the Windows UI (right click, properties... one of the tabs).

Where I went wrong: I missed the part of needing to change the program ID and temporarily or permanently changing the file name after the fact (or moving it back into the directory).

Space

Post by Space » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:17 am

Some of the metadata can be edited that way, but not all of it. For instance, that WM/WMRVProgramID field.

Yes, you can also move the file to a different folder and back again instead of renaming it and back. The purpose of this is to get WMC to think there is a new file that it needs to catalog in it's database. If it looks at the new file and sees a WM/WMRVProgramID that is already in it's database, it does not bother reading the metadata from the file and just uses the data that it already has for that WM/WMRVProgramID. Although, in some cases I have seen the database update without having to change the WM/WMRVProgramID, but it was inconsistent.

I assume that after the database cleanup (which happens every 5 days, normally) the old database entry for the old WM/WMRVProgramID will be purged and you might be able to change the WM/WMRVProgramID of the file back to it's original value and keep the new metadata, but I have never tried that (and there is little reason to do so).