WMC keeps prompting to download guide after success

Mugsy

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC keeps prompting to download guide after success

Post by Mugsy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Suddenly this morning, when I launch "Live TV", WMC keeps prompting me to download the latest Guide Data (something it normally does on its own.)

I click the "Download" button, the green WMC jewel appears in the tray, a few minutes later, WMC reports the guide was "Download successfully", and yet a few minutes later, it prompts me again. :?

I made no changes to my system that might of had any affect on WMC. Any idea what might be causing this? TIA.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm seeing this as well. On other computers I'm seeing unable to download the latest guide listings when setting up live TV. Here we go again...

Warmonk

Post by Warmonk » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:40 pm

I am getting the download prompt as well, although I get a download failed notice in wmc a minute later. If I force update in the tray icon, it says success, but the pop up returns later.

What do you mean here we go again?

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:52 pm

-Alan

sparkinstx

Post by sparkinstx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:52 am

I started seeing this today as well, on both of mine. Yes, here we go again. The last go round, one was relatively simple to fix, but the other other one was a pain. I ended up copying a folder from the easy-to-fix one to the hard-to-fix one. The last time it was because they changed guide providers. Not to looking forward to this. Maybe it's time to start looking at other solutions again. Less than three more years of Windows 7 support (Jan. 2020).

rknox

Post by rknox » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:51 am

WMC started giving warnings that I only had 3 days guide data left, and certain sports schedules reverted to no data available. This is the first time I have ever had this type of problem, at least that had lasted more than a day. My experience when forcing a guide update to fix this was that the guide data would process, but then give a "data already updated", followed by a "there were errors, trying again later". This was happening and no guide data was updating.

Here's what I tried which fixed the problem just now (it is possible that the problem got fixed from Rovi or wherever coincidentally):
- on the task bar greenbutton, i unchecked the "enable automatic updates" from the menu (right click)
- suddenly I got the updates completed msg, without any error
- then I selected "update data now" upon which the whole update download repeated, and again said "data already updated"
- except, now my guide really was updated

I have not tried re-enabling the automatic updates but will turn back on and monitor.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 am

So you are saying that you got updated with 12/13 days of data? Are you in Canada or USA? What is the name of your lineup?

rknox

Post by rknox » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:37 am

Yes, I'm now good until Feb 18. I am Comcast Digital Los Gatos, CA
When I re-enable automatic updates and do a download I get the same error again, even after running objectstorerecovertask and rebooting. Strange.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:02 am

Sometimes the guide will update but still give you an error. I'm not sure why this is.

So after you ran ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, did the download fill the guide to 2/18 again?

rknox

Post by rknox » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:09 am

Now that you mention it, I have had guide errors in the past, but they didn't stop the guide update.

OSRT didn't seem to remove the guide data. I rebooted and msg said guide data needed to be checked/updated. When I went to guide everything was still there.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:27 am

OK, it looks like it may have just been a coincidence that you started getting new data when you did, I don't think anything you did caused it to start working again. I am guessing that Microsoft fixed the problem and others should start seeing new data again as well.

It has been observed that updates seem to become available from Microsoft in alphabetical order, so since your lineup starts with "C" (Comcast) you get it earlier than most.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:01 pm

This issue should be resolved by now for most people.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:56 pm

It is still a problem for me. Hopefully it updates soon.
I am using Houston OTA channels.

Flameout

Post by Flameout » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 pm

DavidinCT wrote:This issue should be resolved by now for most people.
I hope so, as of a few minutes ago, it still says it downloaded successfully, but I only have one day left before it's all "no data available".

antipode

Post by antipode » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:46 pm

I am having the same issue, still. A Windows 8.1 Pro laptop began exhibiting this problem on Feb 4, I attempted several different recovery tricks I found in various for, nothing worked. After a full reinitialization I am now no longer able to download any guide data at all. To verify (after messing with the database files in //home), I double checked with another laptop, Windows 7 Pro (different WMC license), just now (Feb 6, 3pm Pacific) which showed the same "3 days left" error, and keeps asking to download, then reporting download complete, then asking for manual download again. I've tried different ISP networks, two different ATSC dongles, wifi and hardwire Ethernet, nothing works.

nfn06010

Post by nfn06010 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:22 am

All of those successful messages really weren't. Fortunately mine started working today, just in time.
2-PCIe CETON 4's

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:15 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't know if the problem has resolved itself, but I was just prompted saying I had only "3 days of listings left", downloaded with "success", and I checked my listings up to a week in advance.

So the only question is why did it happen and will it happen again? (This is what happened back when WMC changed providers. My Guide data wouldn't update and getting the provider switched was a monumental hassle I'd rather not go through again.) :(

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 am

Something broke on the server side (Microsoft server). This has happened several times over the years, so I do expect it to happen again.

Flameout

Post by Flameout » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:29 pm

I tired a different zipcode, and the guide downloaded fine. Unfortunately I picked a california zip and I'm in Pennsylvania. I went back and set wmc up again with my zip, and no luck. I now have about 4 hours of listings remaining.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 pm

have you tried opening a CMD window and running:
c:\windows\ehome\mcupdate -uf -pscn0