Replace all functionality of WMC

JJTech

HTPC Specs: Show details

Replace all functionality of WMC

Post by JJTech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Had the unpleasant experience of "upgrading" to W10. Hacked WMC in and the anniversary edition took it out. I think this will be a on going battle that I don't want to fight.

I have looked at some of the alternative WMC replacements but they seem to either require a lot of work and/or don't replace the full functionality of WMC.

Is there any program that will TOTALLY replace all the functionality of WMC:

- Exact WMC IR codes that are programmed into my Logitech Smart Control so I don't have to painfully reprogram 3 remotes. I don't want to use a mouse at all.
- The ability to record 1 program while watching previously recorded program
- TV guide that is free and can be read on the TV (print is large enough)
- It will continue to work on W10
- Easy install. I don't have to compile or do a hundred steps to get it to work

Lastly, does anyone know how long the TV guide will be supported/updated if I go back to W7 WMC?

Or after a week of headaches, I'm I better off to go back to W7????

Thank you!
Last edited by JJTech on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 pm

JJTech wrote: Or after a week of headaches, I'm I better off to go back to W7????
Yes, Windows 7 still works perfectly fine. WMC guide data now has new life thanks to EPG123/SD.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:30 pm

You probably should have done a little research about moving beyond Win7 Pro first so roll back while you can and take a look-see here too.

JJTech

Post by JJTech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Sammy2 wrote:You probably should have done a little research about moving beyond Win7 Pro first so roll back while you can and take a look-see here too.
Thanks I did a little research and at the time the WMC hacked worked on W10.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:12 pm

JJTech wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:You probably should have done a little research about moving beyond Win7 Pro first so roll back while you can and take a look-see here too.
Thanks I did a little research and at the time the WMC hacked worked on W10.
Yeah. I'm sorry. I just don't trust hacks into Win10, especially since it is on autopilot with the updates with no user control. At least I was able to roll back some updates on Win7 that broke concurrent RDP sessions and was forcing Win10 on me. I have all updates for Win7 denied but even then they now are persistently asking to update again. ARG! With what's coming in October, I've got to install Never 10.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:24 pm

You're asking the wrong question JJ. A Channel Master (for OTA) or Tivo with lifetime (for OTA and/or cable) will do everything you listed related to DVR functionality, just not on a PC. If you want to continue using a PC as well for other purposes, that's fine. But if you want to move away from WMC on Win 7 for your DVR, there is no other option for DRM content. You didn't mention DRM, but I assume that's your reason for sticking with WMC all this time.

JJTech

Post by JJTech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:29 pm

Thank you for that link. I haven't read anywhere that the "package" updates for W7 will remove WMC have you? My impression is that MS will support W7 till January 14, 2020. Am I wrong to think that WMC and the accompanying TV Guide will remain in place AT LEAST to that date?

JJTech

Post by JJTech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:33 pm

mdavej wrote:You're asking the wrong question JJ. A Channel Master (for OTA) or Tivo with lifetime (for OTA and/or cable) will do everything you listed related to DVR functionality, just not on a PC. If you want to continue using a PC as well for other purposes, that's fine. But if you want to move away from WMC on Win 7 for your DVR, there is no other option for DRM content. You didn't mention DRM, but I assume that's your reason for sticking with WMC all this time.
Thank you.

All I need is to record OTA from my digital antenna on to my PC.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:46 pm

Supposedly Emby will do that now. I'm OTA only as well, and while I haven't bothered looking much, I've had the same thoughts.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:52 pm

If you had a TV, I would say the Channel Master DVR+ would be the perfect OTA, subscription-free DVR (Tivo adds several additional features for a bit more money). Since you only watch on a computer and want to keep it that way, then you have tons of options with the caveat that you'll have to pay a very small amount (~$2/month) for the guide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... e_packages

WMC on Win 7 will probably continue to work indefinitely. After 2020, you may have to start paying for the guide. But you're asking for a WMC replacement, so there's no point in speculating about WMC's lifetime. That's irrelevant if you're planning to replace it. If all you want is an OTA DVR with free guide, then Tivo or Channel Master are great options. If you have the additional requirement that your DVR software runs on your PC, then you have the options linked above. In my case, I just want to record stuff and watch it on my TV. I don't care if that happens on a PC or some other box besides a PC.

As for Emby, I thought that still used a WMC back-end?

JJTech

Post by JJTech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Bryan wrote:Supposedly Emby will do that now. I'm OTA only as well, and while I haven't bothered looking much, I've had the same thoughts.
At first glance, it doesn't seem that Emby will record?

JJTech

Post by JJTech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:18 pm

mdavej wrote:If you had a TV, I would say the Channel Master DVR+ would be the perfect OTA, subscription-free DVR (Tivo adds several additional features for a bit more money). Since you only watch on a computer and want to keep it that way, then you have tons of options with the caveat that you'll have to pay a very small amount (~$2/month) for the guide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... e_packages

WMC on Win 7 will probably continue to work indefinitely. After 2020, you may have to start paying for the guide. But you're asking for a WMC replacement, so there's no point in speculating about WMC's lifetime. That's irrelevant if you're planning to replace it. If all you want is an OTA DVR with free guide, then Tivo or Channel Master are great options. If you have the additional requirement that your DVR software runs on your PC, then you have the options linked above. In my case, I just want to record stuff and watch it on my TV. I don't care if that happens on a PC or some other box besides a PC.

As for Emby, I thought that still used a WMC back-end?
Thanks mdavej.

Although I am technical, I haven't stayed current on DVR/PVRs. Am I correct in saying that a lot or most packages are "separated" into viewing vs recording? It seems that if I go with a package like Kodi, that I will need a "backend" to record OTA programs? If I stay with W10, yes, I am then looking for a hopefully free WMC functional replacement. BTW, I have my PC hooked up to 3 monitors and a 42" TV (where I watch most of my recordings). My Hauppauge 950q has worked well.

Call me cheap but I don't want to buy any HW (Channel Master or Tivo) when I already have what I need on my PC.

It sounds like you have a great handle on all this. If I do stay with W10, what do you would be the best TOTAL replacement for WMC?

Scallica had a good suggestion with his EPG123/SD. Have you used it? If so, how has it worked for you?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:27 pm

I only have direct experience with WMC and TiVo. But NextPVR seems worth a serious look from what I've read.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2962313 ... ws-10.html

JJTech

Post by JJTech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:22 pm

mdavej wrote:I only have direct experience with WMC and TiVo. But NextPVR seems worth a serious look from what I've read.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2962313 ... ws-10.html
Thank you mdavej!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Any PC alternative will require you to pay a Schedules Direct subscription ($25/yr). I would look at NextPVR, Media Portal, or Emby.

Emby would probably be the simplest to set up, but I'm not sure it works natively with non-HDhomerun tuners.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Where is the Emby DVR everybody is talking about? I can find anything that says it even exists. All I know of is the ServerWMC plugin for Emby, which not only doesn't work very well, but also defeats the purpose of getting rid of WMC because it still uses WMC. Does Emby actually have native DVR capabilities now?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:57 pm

mdavej wrote:Where is the Emby DVR everybody is talking about? I can find anything that says it even exists. All I know of is the ServerWMC plugin for Emby, which not only doesn't work very well, but also defeats the purpose of getting rid of WMC because it still uses WMC. Does Emby actually have native DVR capabilities now?
Yeah, they don't make it very clear. You can use the usual backends (ServerWMC, NextPVR, MediaPortal) or direct with Schedules Direct:
http://emby.media/community/index.php?/ ... 7-live-tv/

Here is an (older) write-up about it:
http://mediaputer.com/featured/2015/08/live-tv-on-emby/

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Scallica wrote:
JJTech wrote: Or after a week of headaches, I'm I better off to go back to W7????
Yes, Windows 7 still works perfectly fine. WMC guide data now has new life thanks to EPG123/SD.
Yea, use your Key that you upgraded to Windows 10 with. Format, reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy a WMC setup again.

The added plus is you did the upgrade to Windows 10. So later on, if a product comes out that beats out WMC, you should be able to re-install it to that machine with out having to buy a copy of 10...

I did a dual boot thing with 7 and 10 (Removed from statup asking, need to go into the control panel to set the OS that will load), even though I got 10 working, 7 is still the best WMC experience across the board.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:18 pm

JRiver might meet the criteria of the OP if DRM isn't necessary. Otherwise, Windows 7 Media Center is still king. I've been going strong with my install since 2009 with Rovi guide no less. I will move to EPG123 sooner than later as I've been getting a quantity of erroneous recordings as of late. But I admit, I'll probably cutover to Silicondust's solution keeping MC as a server of sorts.

JJTech

Post by JJTech » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks to all.

I am going back to W7. In my opinion WMC is the best PVR out there for recording OTA broadcasts. I think that W10 is MS attempt to have a unified platform across all their devices to compete against Apple. Besides that, I don't have a touch screen.