Decoder Error

Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Decoder Error

Post by Space » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:12 am

I just took my HTPC out of standby and I noticed that the audio on WMC was not working (sound when you change the selection in the menus). I then got this error when trying to play a video:

Decoder Error - The video decoder is not working is not installed

I rebooted but had the same problem. The system sound played fine on boot-up, so it looked just like a problem with WMC. I also tried playing a .wtv video in Windows Media Player and it also gave an error.

I looked in the "System Restore" and saw that there was a "Critical System Update" applied on 6/6/2016. This is strange because I have updates set to notify me and not update automatically and I have not done an update in several weeks. Do critical updates get applied without asking?

I looked in Windows Update history and only see definition updates for MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), so it is a mystery how this other critical update was done (if I look back further through the System Restore entries, I see several "Critical Updates" being done every 3 or 4 days, so maybe this is just a normal scheduled System Restore point?)

Anyway, I used System restore to roll back to before that update, and thankfully the audio/video is working again in WMC.

So this is a warning to all, there may be a windows update for Win7 that may cause issues. Or perhaps I just had some other issue that was fixed by the restore (perhaps disk corruption, which I will need to investigate).

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know and see if anyone had any ideas as to what happened.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:18 am

MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is an open door to critical updates. The only way to stop them is to disable the update service or change antivirus to non MS.

Adam, myself and a few others went over this thoroughly a couple years back.

I'll see if I can find the post.

EDIT...there it is

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 712#p69712

Also, you might want to increase the size of your Restore Storage Folder. It is adjustable in Win10, surely its available in Win7.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 am

Interesting. So it may be an Windows update that caused my issue...

I wonder if anyone else using MSE has experienced this problem?

If I disable the "update service" I assume that also disabled the virus definition updates?

Any advise on which antivirus to switch to if I decide to trash MSE due to these updates? I had always heard that MSE was best to use with a dedicated WMC box as it caused the least interference with WMC.

I don't really use the web on this box very often, so having an antivirus is probably not critical, although I do use it occasionally if I am looking to download some updated software to be installed or (rarely) installing some new software, so the extra security is nice to have and it would be a bit of a nightmare to get a virus on this machine.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:31 am

I still use MSE, its the only one I trust ATM not to screw the TV. Might be best to leave it on, and dig up/uninstall/block the troublesome update.

Check your update log might be some hints re: name of the update.

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows...... WindowsUpdate

It sucks really...I never thought I would rather have a virus than a bad update

Check that link for all the testing we did. re: disable service's

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:48 am

In WMCv10 for Win10 Decoder error means codecs.

In your case, I would think one of the settings for your Microsoft Codecs got changed. or if you use 3rd party codecs same answer.

Check out Shark007's website forum and see if someone else got the same problem.

There is quite a lot out there on wmc decoder error mostly old though (2013)

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:11 am

I am not even 100% sure it was caused by an update, but I'll check that log when I get a chance.

I already checked Windows Update History from the GUI and there was nothing but MSE definition file updates.

Also, if the last Critical Update occurred on 6/6, why did I not have a problem until 6/9? Perhaps there was a later update that did not create a System Restore point first...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Space wrote:
Also, if the last Critical Update occurred on 6/6, why did I not have a problem until 6/9? Perhaps there was a later update that did not create a System Restore point first...
Maybe a..... 3rd-party software update

Flash? Chrome? Etc.?

msconfig/Start Up. See what you have starting when booting. msconfig/Services. Be sure you put a check mark in Hide All Microsoft Services. What you have left is 3rd party services.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/268 ... ost2209527