Windows 7 & 10 Dual Boot Setup

thecornel

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 & 10 Dual Boot Setup

Post by thecornel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:28 pm

I cloned my win 7 hard drive. then upgraded the clone to windows 10. once it is upgraded and registered as upgraded, I made a 30gb partition on original HD and Installed win 10 on it. this gives me both win 7 and win 10 on the same drive. when booted it asks which operating system to boot, so you have both win 7 and win 10 on the same computer. If a better option for mediacenter comes along you can boot to win 10.

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 pm

I had the almost same type of setup but, I go to the Control Panel> System > Advanced System settings> Advanced tab...

Startup and recovery. then UNCHECK "time to display list of OS". So when I want to switch OS's, I just go the same place, Change the Default Operating system to what I want to boot with and reboot the computer.

This allows you to not have to deal with the startup but, a few easy steps to change the OS that you want to use.

Right now, I am dual booting with 7 and 8.1 with WMC...I am going to remove 8.1 that I have...install a 7 Home premium, then upgrade it to 10, so I will be booting with 7 and 10...

Although I got WMC running PERFECTLY, I have no need to change.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012