Win 7 MC Low Bit Rate Screen

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
sprocketjockey

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 7 MC Low Bit Rate Screen

Post by sprocketjockey » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 am

After many many months of successful TV recording and live TV viewing Media Center and my Hauppauge WinTv-HVR-1950 running in Parallels (fully updated Windows 7) and plugged directly into the USB 2 port on the back of my iMac 11,1 have decided to give me trouble. Other than Windows 7 updates nothing in the system has really changed, yet I now get "Low Bit Rate" error screens and screen freezes in both live and recorded TV on several channels. Roughly 2/3s of my recorded programs report loss of signal errors in the record history. I've got cable (Milwaukee TWC) without a decoder box running into the Hauppauge 1950. All drivers have been updated. The two Microsoft fixes from March 2010 are "not applicable," probably because they've already long since been installed in a monthly update at some point. I also have increasing trouble getting MC to recognize that tuners are available when I reboot Windows 7 in Parallels. I usually have to yank the Hauppauge USB cable and the power cable and then re-insert first the USB and then the power cable to force recognition. That always eventually works, usually after one try, sometimes two or three. But that doesn't solve the supposed low bit rate problems. I monitor the same channel, accessed from a splitter from the same signal-boosted cable, on my regular TV and there are no freezes or signal problems on the TV when these issues occur on my computer. Anybody have any suggestions? Other than possible Windows 7 bit-rot issues (not to be confused with "bit rate" issues), on the 18 month old operating system installation, I've run out of ideas.

patrikf

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by patrikf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:22 pm

I have the same or a very similar issue (I think it says "No signal" or something like that).
I have also started to get recordings split into two separate files recently, and quite often recording fails suddenly, missing the rest of the programme.
One possible contributing factor to various problems (slowness for one) could be an ever-growing list of things to record: Recordings.xml. But if you delete this one all your scheduled recordings would be cancelled, I believe. Not what I want.
I'm pretty fed up with MC by now, as it seems to not be maintained by MS, and instead of improving or at least not getting worse, it seems to deteriorate.
For example, there still seems to be no working solution to automatically update transponder information when channels move. I was without C4HD for a couple of months before I got fed up and manually rescanned the transponder. (With all sorts of regular issues preventing tuner use, I didn't initially realise the loss of C4HD was a permanent one.)

I use two DVB-T and two DVB-S tuners, BTW. (Two different cards)