Tuners unable to stay locked onto QAM signal

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuners unable to stay locked onto QAM signal

Post by kd6icz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:15 pm

So... Everything that glitters really isn't gold. With the exception of not having to reboot my system, my Prime's are experiencing the same issues with signal that my Ceton's did.

I've tried reaching out to SD for help but their support is cumbersome and pulling logs is a pain in the butt! All they keep saying is my signal looks great when clearly it's not. I can watch the numbers bounce around every time I refresh the tuner status screen. In the meantime my leased Motorola STB tunes the channel flawlessly.

In my old home, I went through this issue when using my Ceton tuners and Ceton reached out to TWC. Within 48 hours the issue disappeared. I explained all this to SD and it's like they don't read English. Very frustrating!

I don't know how their error logs work and I can't seem to communicate to them when it's happening. Any suggestions?

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:35 am

Well its been a week and no replays.
I think that is because in your question it is clear that you have a problem with the QAM signal and it is the cables plant fault not SD. They want to to use there box and so they need there arm twisted to correct the issue. I assume you got no where with the cable company about this problem.

Then you asked about the SD logs, and how to tell them when it happens. You run the setup program that came with the SD software and in the advanced tab you check the "send Diag" info to SD. That will have your unit send full log info to SD. Reboot the Tuner. Then run your tuner until you have the problem, note the time and channel when the problem happens. Post on the SD forum your unit ID number and the problem, the time the problem happened and channel number. SD will check the diag info and report back to your post.

Rainey

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:37 am

The problem is that the error log only works with the VIEW app and not with WMC. Since this is a Copy Protected channel I can't use the VIEW app.

So what they told me to do is take screenshots of the web GUI when it happens. Of course it's not happening at the moment so I have put it on hold. It seems to happen on very warm days so it might combination of several things.