Diamond HD750 PCIe - No local but cable channels

CharlesLam

HTPC Specs: Show details

Diamond HD750 PCIe - No local but cable channels

Post by CharlesLam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Currently i have a diamond HD750 PCIE tv capture card with an IR blaster to work with a comcast RNG110 STB. I get cable channels but none of the local channels. so to further elaborate comcast shows local channels through the set top box. i can tune the cable channels fine, its the local channels that it tunes for <1 second and then i get nothing but static. using the latest drivers and windows is up to date.

anyone else run into this issue?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:07 pm

I don't know how to get your card working, but do you realize with a different card you can get rid of your STB and blaster entirely and get all subscribed channels as well as multiple tuners?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:10 pm

But you will lose the ONDemand features of the STB. Just keep that in mind.

CharlesLam

Post by CharlesLam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:06 pm

if i want to pay $200 for a tuner and pay for a rental cable card that only I can support due to comcast's lack of training their technicians, yeah that would technically work. obviously thats not the answer for my particular situation. could care less for ONDemand as for some reason it never has worked with this STB. the weird thing is, my hauppauge 1250 works on both local and cable channels through the STB, but has random freezes and does not work with serverwmc to export to xbmc. while i know this forum doesnt support either of those softwares, im trying to figure out why i cant get this card to work with wmc which does work with prior software mentioned.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:11 pm

FWIW, I got my last cable card tuner used for a fraction of that. Heck, I just sold one of my Primes for $80 and an InfiniTV 4 for $100. And card rental is usually a lot cheaper than box rental, eventually making up the additional cost of the tuner. Sure beats blasters and cable boxes, despite the initial cable card issues you may or may not encounter. I think with Comcast you can even activate the card yourself online and not have to deal with their techs at all. I used blasters and boxes for years and wish I had switched to cable card much sooner. Something to consider if you can't solve your current issue.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Not to mention that with that video tuner/capture card, you can't get HD video out of the STB. If you go with a CableCARD tuner, you'll get HD on multiple tuners.

CharlesLam

Post by CharlesLam » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:48 pm

i really could care less for HD. regardless, through the stb it does have HD channels in the listing and it *appears* to be higher resolution. cant really tell *shrugs*

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:18 pm

The F connector on the STB can only output SD analog NTSC (channel 3 or 4). The composite and S-video ports can only do 480i. It doesn't matter though if you don't care to get HD.

But you'd still save money in the long run, and have multiple tuners, if you used a CableCARD tuner. The monthly rental cost of a CableCARD is usually less than half the cost of renting a set top box. You'd never have to deal with IR blasters again either.

CharlesLam

Post by CharlesLam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:37 am

if other people ran into this problem, it was a faulty card. got another one off of ebay and it worked fine. thank god i moved to texas where comcast's evil hand cant reach. TWC isnt as bad, but still i'd rather want to go to grande. ended up getting a silicondust HD Homerun Prime and couldnt be happier to move away from that card. the options kind of limited me, but so did that living arrangement.