7MC App to change television's input via RS232

woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

7MC App to change television's input via RS232

Post by woodchuck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:27 pm

I need an app that will show up under extras in 7MC, and when executed, it will do two things:

1) It closes media center
2) It sends a command via rs232 to my tv to change the source input to another HDMI port

I already have code that will do #2, but I need to string it together with #1 (more code), and show up as an extra. I'm a hack programmer, but could probably figure out #1. How do I get it to show as an extra? Or does anyone know of a program I could use similar to what i describe? I'd love to avoid trying to relearn VB for the 10th time.

Cafe.Racer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Cafe.Racer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Nothing native, as far as I know, but you could look at using EventGhost to do both.

You can call EventGhost with command line parameters that will create and "Event" in EventGhost, which you then use to do the Window Close, and use the Serial Plugin to send the command to the TV.

Your Extras App would be some MCL that calls EventGhost with the parameters. I seem to remember writing a simple bit of MCL to call a batch file.

Your problem would then be restarting 7MC when you switch back to the correct source on the TV... if your TV will talk back in serial, then you could.