Sign the petition to get Zap2it data back!

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:55 pm

STC wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:If you find a way to hack in data (as others are trying), it's a lot of work to keep it going, you might not be able to run live TV setup ever again and you would PAY FOR IT OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET.
Actually, rolling your own guide with Zap2it data may turn out to be the de facto method. I won't mind spending a few bucks a year for decent quality data.
Time will tell if Rovi and MS get it together or not, although the clock is ticking...
I have not looked at that thread in a few days, Did you get Zap2it fully working and is it easy to set up ?

I do think Rovi will get better, it HAS to and that will take a little time. I do know just as it's not affecting me too much right now, others are having a nightmare with it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

icepick

Post by icepick » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:00 am

DavidinCT wrote:
WAY too many patents. Microsoft would NEVER just hand over WMC to another person or company. Instead of voting to change back to Zap2it, maybe you should be asking for a tool to use any provider you want AT YOUR OWN COST

what good are those patents if they kill the software, or if they can't make money on it because they broke it and no one wants it, or if they just don't care anymore?

M$ has lost most of it's appeal for me since the Appleization of its OS. They are trying to be more like Apple with all their products. This will never work for them and it sure doesn't work for me. Every time I'm forced to use a mac-anythig I feel like I'm brain damaged, it's teh same feeling I get when trying to use win 8.x or higher. I'm not a child M$, I grew up using DOS. Give me a product that makes noobs scratch their heads and ask someone with half a brain for help.

Sorry about that... Long week... /rant (for today)

mech259

Post by mech259 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:29 pm

All the more reason to try and get XBMC for Linux working. Tired of Microsoft's crap, trying to push into Windows 10 which doesn't even have WMC. This is just plain ridiculous. Spent big bucks for a Ceton cable card adapter and have no EPG to record programs.

icepick

Post by icepick » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:06 pm

mech259 wrote:All the more reason to try and get XBMC for Linux working. Tired of Microsoft's crap, trying to push into Windows 10 which doesn't even have WMC. This is just plain ridiculous. Spent big bucks for a Ceton cable card adapter and have no EPG to record programs.
I'm interested in trying to get my ceton card working with my xbmc install. I currently use it to playback my bluray and dvd collection. I've glanced at posts and articles which lead me to believe it is capable of using a tuner card to watch live tv and record shows. One of these days I'm going to play with it a bit to see what kind of capabilities it has. I'm hoping it can be an equally effective tool that could replace pre-Rovi WMC.

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:26 pm

mech259 wrote:All the more reason to try and get XBMC for Linux working. Tired of Microsoft's crap, trying to push into Windows 10 which doesn't even have WMC. This is just plain ridiculous. Spent big bucks for a Ceton cable card adapter and have no EPG to record programs.
The only problem with this is copy once programming will never playback.

I do have a guide solution working and will post a detailed writeup soon.
Zap2it guide with rovi descriptions added. It's the best of both worlds.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:11 pm

I find Rovi descriptions to have massive black holes, are you not finding the same?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:38 pm

They have issues but when you get the zap2it description followed by rovi ' s full plot is actually not bad

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Ahh okay I understand, you still use z2i descriptions which are by and large functional.- the odd glitch but very acceptable, and where Rovi has full plot data, you use it.
That's a nice setup.

Today is my last day of giving Rovi a chance and there has been no measurable improvement. My next bit of time I get I'm flicking back to Zap2it.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123