UK Freesat EPG Discussion

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Blue407

HTPC Specs: Show details

UK Freesat EPG Discussion

Post by Blue407 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Afternoon All

I get so annoyed every time I come to build a new HTPC with freesat card, having to re-learn all channels and then spending hours clearing out the crap! Especialy all ther SKY channels that are encrypted so I can;t watch them.

Does anybody have a definitive list of channels that should work with UK Freesat?
Even better a file I can upload with something, that just has the UK Freesat SD and UK Freesat HD channels in it?

I think this would be useful to lots of people, rather than starting with the 500 odd crap we all get.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this :)

[Moderator note: topics merged]

Blue407

Post by Blue407 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:44 am

Morning All

Ever since the new Spike channel appeared on Freesat in the UK I have had missing EPG issues.

I have just rebuilt my HTPC and discovered all the channels from scratch, same issue. Channel 1314 Spike shows no listings available.
If I try and manualy match up a listing for it, there are 989 listings shown but nothing for Spike.
If I switch to the channel, within a minute or two it picks up the current programme and next from the OTA data.

All this has also been tried on my other HTPC, different machine and different freesat tuners but same issue.

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated :)

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:15 pm

You will find that some Freesat channels don't get a full EPG. I only use my WMC when at my dads and Movies 4 Men, True Movies and I think More Movies don't pick up a full EPG - just 'now and next'. Its no bother to me (quite happy with WMC own guide listings) as I only occasionally use it but you may want to look in to changing the way you get your EPG. Others will know how to do it I expect

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:49 pm

You do get a load of rubbish when you do a full transponder scan, duplicate channels like C4, ITV etc and then encrypted Sky channels and just channels that don't have anything on. And yet doing a 'full' transponder scan you still have channels missed off that requires you to do a specific scan on a certain frequency (I don't get BBC HD in the 'full' scan and many other channels.

In the past I used GuideTool (google it if you haven't heard of it). Just install it and open it when you have your WMC open. You can select huge sections of channels that you want to get rid of and uncheck them and they will be removed from your guide. You can also renumber channels (right click) if you want your channels organised. Anyway have a look at that its quite useful.

Anyway the next time I reinstall freesat I'm going to delete all the channels you get when you install the tuner (I expect you normally get a load of channels and then run another transponder scan and it gets a load more, right?). Then I'm going to manually scan single transponders from this list
http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos= ... &filtre=no and scan only the frequencies that contain the channels I need.

Hope that makes sense