Laptop doesn't display full HD on TV

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
minwei

HTPC Specs: Show details

Laptop doesn't display full HD on TV

Post by minwei » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Really need some help with getting my laptop to display full 1080 HD on my 60in TV. Currently, it can only display at a lower resolution, so the TV screen is not completely covered when display media center at full screen.

I am using the HDMI output on my laptop. I've also tried using a USB3 to HDMI adapter(similar to the one linked below), but it has a lag, and it only comes up if another external monitor is connected to the VGA output on the laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Female-Di ... im+adapter

Any help would be deeply appreciated, Thanks =)

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:33 am

which laptop and which graphics chip? You probably need to use whatever settings you have on the card to get it to do the trick - OR if it doesn't have a 1080P setting, you are SOL...For example, my previous WMC machine could only do 1080P30 vs 720P60 so I opted for 720P because I wanted 60 fps refresh. So YMMV depending on the chipset driving the graphics.

So is it just the standard embedded Intel or AMD graphics or is this a laptop with some video "chops"...

minwei

Post by minwei » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:45 am

Thank for your reply. It's a samsung RV711, with Intel HD graphics, not much chops i think =). I'm thinking I might need to get an external adapter and use a pc graphics card to get this to work: something like this(maybe?):

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-External-P ... 8W76KANFBT

I tried to set it to 720 as you've suggested. The screen expand to cover full screen on the 60in TV, but media center shrunk back to the same size. Is there a way to force Media center to go to 720?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:03 am

If you have your dual display settings in Windows set to clone/mirror mode, you can only configure resolution settings that are compatible with both attached display devices. The laptop's internal panel isn't 1080p, so if you want to configure 1080p output to the TV, you need to switch the Windows setting from clone/mirror mode to extended mode (i.e., the TV shows a separate picture from the laptop's built-in display panel). Then open WMC, ensure it is visible on the TV, then in WMC go to Tasks > Settings > TV > Configure Your TV or Monitor. When asked for the display type, select Television.

minwei

Post by minwei » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks for your reply. I was able to get it working along the similar line as your suggestion. The extend didn't quite work, but when i set it to display only on second monitor(TV), the 1080 did work. I guess the graphics on my laptop wasn't powerful enough to drive both displays and one at 1080 at the same time. Thanks!