Already recorded shows renaming themselves

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Already recorded shows renaming themselves

Post by Space » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:20 am

Windows Media Center - Windows 7

I've been having a very strange problem recently and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

I have been finding already recorded shows listed in WMC that have had their show name/episode name/description/etc. changed from what they originally were, weeks after they were recorded.

For instance, an episode of MasterChef had it's listed name changed to Moesha (along with corresponding episode name and description).

The show itself is still the show I recorded, just the show name and other info has changed. The recording date is correct.

This has happened about 6 times now to different shows, and they all change to different show names that I have never recorded.

If I look at the metadata in the .wmv file, it is also correct. Showing no signs of the new name.

I can correct the name by using the procedure in this thread (the only metadata I change is the WM/WMRVProgramID value) and the show name is corrected back to what is in the metadata of the file:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=8888

Normally I would say that the database cache that holds this information is somehow corrupted (and it very well may be), but I am confused as to where it would get the information for an episode of a show that I have never recorded (for instance a specific episode of Moesha, with the episode name and description). I thought the info in the cache was just pulled from the metadata in the .wmv and I have never recorded that show. It must somehow be pulling it from the program guide, but I don't know how or why. Since it only started since the Rovi switchover, perhaps it is related to that?

Anyway, my questions are:

* Can you look at your recorded shows and let me know if you see any misnamed shows?
* What could be causing this?
* How could it be changing the show name to a show I never recorded?
* How do I keep this from happening again?
* I have seen procedures to rebuild this cache database, but it is not clear that it does not affect other parts of WMC, is there a procedure to just delete and rebuild this database without harming other parts of WMC?

Thanks!

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:18 pm

I would assume that this is related to Microsoft changing the guide provider. Definitely check out the thread that discusses that provider change. I have only noticed one change myself: The series name for "World's Dumbest" was changed to "TruTV Presents World's Dumbest". Once you drill into that series folder however, the shows are still named "World's Dumbest".

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:14 pm

kmp14 wrote:I would assume that this is related to Microsoft changing the guide provider. Definitely check out the thread that discusses that provider change. I have only noticed one change myself: The series name for "World's Dumbest" was changed to "TruTV Presents World's Dumbest". Once you drill into that series folder however, the shows are still named "World's Dumbest".
I have already read that complete thread, and there is nothing about this.

Your issue is not the same as mine. I understand that some shows have changed their name slightly (for instance "Family Guy" is now "Family Guy!").

My problem is that I record a show, and it shows up in the WMC list as "Family Guy!". Then a couple weeks later, that same recording has had it's name changed to "Friends" or some other completely unrelated show name (one time it was a show with a Polish name) with the episode name being a "Friends" episode and the description also being that of that "Friends" episode.

The first time this happened, only the show name and episode name changed, the description remained that of the original show. All other times since then have had the show name, episode name, and episode description change. It is a really strange problem...

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 pm

Space wrote:Windows Media Center - Windows 7

I've been having a very strange problem recently and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

I have been finding already recorded shows listed in WMC that have had their show name/episode name/description/etc. changed from what they originally were, weeks after they were recorded.

For instance, an episode of MasterChef had it's listed name changed to Moesha (along with corresponding episode name and description).

The show itself is still the show I recorded, just the show name and other info has changed. The recording date is correct....
Happened to me once. Pretty sure it was when my guide was changing from Zap2it to Rovi. When I look at my About Guide, there are two ID's. One for Comcast Cable and one for OTA, even though I don't have OTA channel or tuners there is one listed for OTA in the About Guide. For about 5 days, the Comcast Cable ID was provided by Rovi while the OTA ID was still Zap2it... I had to re-run tv setup to get both ID's to be Rovi.

Have you checked your About Guide? Are there two ID's? Are they BOTH Rovi? They should be. Re-run tv setup if not.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:30 am

tzr916 wrote: Have you checked your About Guide? Are there two ID's? Are they BOTH Rovi? They should be. Re-run tv setup if not.
I already know that I have two IDs, but are you sure this is the cause of the problem?

I don't want to re-run TV setup if I don't have to as it will wipe out my favorites lists as well as having to re-disable all my unsubscribed and SD channels.

Also, the last time I did it (changing cable companies), it wiped out all my Series records (luckily I saved a backup, so was able to restore them, but I lost all the history or recorded episodes).

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 am

So you looked at your two IDs and are they both Rovi or not? If not you should re-run tv setup or you will continue to have this issue... Doing tv setup does not affect series recordings at all. It does require going back through all the enabled/disabled channels unless you use a backup like guide tool. Don't know about favorites.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:39 am

tzr916 wrote:So you looked at your two IDs and are they both Rovi or not? If not you should re-run tv setup or you will continue to have this issue... Doing tv setup does not affect series recordings at all. It does require going back through all the enabled/disabled channels unless you use a backup like guide tool. Don't know about favorites.
Yes, I have two IDs one zap2it (terrestial) and one Rovi (cable). The zap2it one does not get updated when I look in the EpgListings folders.

So you are sure that this is what is causing my problem? If so, I will make some backups and find some time to do it.

Thanks.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:47 am

I am sure that during the time when I had one zap2it ID and one rovi ID, I had a series recorded show that had completely wrong title & info. It recorded Dominion on syfy but the title and info was showing as Factory Made on discovery or something.

I am sure that when I re-ran tv setup, both my ID's are rovi and I have not had any more of those problems.

Will it work for you, I'd say chances are good enough for you to go ahead and do it.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:18 am

OK, thanks a lot for the info, I appreciate it!

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Happened to me again.
"How the Universe Works" recorded 7/21 on ScienceHD
changed title and info to
"The Fairly Odd Parents" which airs on Nick

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Happened to me once right after the guide switched over. Treehouse Masters changed to I Love Lucy. It was also causing freezing issues when going into recorded TV. I deleted it, everything was fine, and hasn't happened since.