HDMI on system board went belly up

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
spinnaker

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI on system board went belly up

Post by spinnaker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:54 pm

The HDMI on system board went belly up. Probably my fault as I was running one of those splitters for the TV upstairs. It was powered but I noticed it worked without the power adapter so the was the way I was running it. Worked fine for a few years but I was probably over driving the HDMI out on my PC.

I still want to use the splitter so I will need HDMI

I don't want the hassle and expense of a new system board right now so I figure I could just add a new adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I do have a spare PCIE slot. Does the audio come through the HDMI port

The VGA works fine as well as the PC audio.

Will I be happy with something like this?

That way I save a slot

Then there is something like this

But I don't see how it is powered. It would save a USB connector but I really have plenty,

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:18 pm

With all the HDMI handshake issues that always crop up because of HDCP.. I think your best bet on success and less stress would be to just add a good graphics adapter with HDMI output.

Both Nvidia and AMD have good graphics cards with HDMI outputs. Yes the Audio travels through the Graphics cards HDMI port to your TV/AVR. The drivers for the cards with HDMI ports have a HD audio driver to support the audio over HDMI on the graphics card.

HTH,
newfiend~

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Didn't audio not work till the GTX4XX series ? Maybe I am thinking of bit streaming.....

Anyway about it, if your worried about price, check ebay and a few locations. A GTX460 or so, go for under $50 or so, I picked up a GTX750 (even plays back 4K video) for like $99....

A used mid line video card option might give you more bang for your buck if your trying to stay as cheap as possible and should be able to fit your needs.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Audio worked over HDMI DavidinCT but I believe the 400 series NVIDIA cards were the first ones to allow bit streaming of audio. I had a GT430 when they first came out and it worked great. I'm now using a GTX 750Ti because I like to game a little on steam now and again. Anything NVIDIA 400 series on would be a good card for HTPC as long as you can fit it in your case.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:36 pm

spinnaker wrote: Probably my fault as I was running one of those splitters for the TV upstairs.
How were you changing channels upstairs?

Seems like a hassle to run HDMI, when extenders work for that purpose, and don't tie up the screen that you are not using.