Copying Prohibited for old and new

abeloffv

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copying Prohibited for old and new

Post by abeloffv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:57 am

I have been running WMC on a Win7 machine for about five years. The machine had a hardware problem somewhere around July 6 that caused it to slow down, lock up and freeze. It took me a few days to understand that the trouble was hardware such that my earliest full system backup is from July 9. I am in the process now of pulling memory sticks to see if I can identify a bad one. Something has also occurred so that I can no longer play any of the protected content that I captured with WMC. I also cannot watch Live TV or record anything anymore. All I see is Copying Prohibited messages.

From the reading I've done here it seems like my DRM keys have been corrupted and all my old content is no longer viewable. My Recorded TV directory is not on the OS drive. Last night I restored the OS drive and all of its contents. I still cannot watch Live TV or record anything.

Suggestions??

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:13 pm

abeloffv wrote:I have been running WMC on a Win7 machine for about five years. The machine had a hardware problem somewhere around July 6 that caused it to slow down, lock up and freeze. It took me a few days to understand that the trouble was hardware such that my earliest full system backup is from July 9. I am in the process now of pulling memory sticks to see if I can identify a bad one. Something has also occurred so that I can no longer play any of the protected content that I captured with WMC. I also cannot watch Live TV or record anything anymore. All I see is Copying Prohibited messages.

From the reading I've done here it seems like my DRM keys have been corrupted and all my old content is no longer viewable. My Recorded TV directory is not on the OS drive. Last night I restored the OS drive and all of its contents. I still cannot watch Live TV or record anything.

Suggestions??
Sounds like a problem with the video card. What model are you using?

abeloffv

Post by abeloffv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:39 pm

nVidia GeForce GTX 660 with current drivers. When I say I cannot watch anything old or new, everything I try to open says "Copying Prohibited" and Live TV shows the same. I can watch DVD's and Blu-Rays and the video seems fine

J3ff

Post by J3ff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:48 pm

I had the same problem. Tried to fix for a few hours and ended up just reformatting and starting from new to fix it.

abeloffv

Post by abeloffv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:56 am

I found the topic "Media Center 7/8 DRM Reset Success" under Windows 7 Media Center, started by ViperBoy and posted on Sun Dec 09, 2012. After following the 18 steps I have revived my ability to watch Live TV and I think record new TV. Everything from prior to today that is copy protected I can no longer watch as DRM thinks it came from a different system and was copied to this one. I can resume using Media Center; though I still have to uncover the underlying hardware problem.