Picture stuttering / pixelation

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
battlese

HTPC Specs: Show details

Picture stuttering / pixelation

Post by battlese » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:57 pm

I've had my system set up for about 2 years and overall I'm pleased. Nothing too complex. I have an antenna in my attic that has coax go to a HD Homerun Dual. From there it goes ethernet out to a powerline adapter. Other end of the powerline adapter comes out in my basement next to my gigabit switch. I have a Dell Optiplex 740 (AMD 4800+ 2.5GHz processor with 6 GB ram. It has a single Western Digital Blue 1 TB drive and also has a built in gigabit nic.

The issue I've run into is random pixelation/blocking/stuttering whatever you want to call it. At first I thought maybe it's weather related but it'll happen on sunny days, or clear nights. I live about 20 miles from the towers so I'm pretty sure my antenna is ok (aimed correctly, etc.) The blocking happened again last night and I realized I was recording two streams and watching something that had already been recorded off the drive. So that got me thinking...am I asking too much from the drive? Maybe that's my issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:25 am

Just as a test, bypass the powerline by running an Ethernet from the HomeRun to the gig switch. Then max out the tuners and see if the problem goes away.

What model of PowerLine do you have?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Try the low level network test when the pixelation reoccurs
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5877

battlese

Post by battlese » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Just as a test, bypass the powerline by running an Ethernet from the HomeRun to the gig switch. Then max out the tuners and see if the problem goes away.

What model of PowerLine do you have?
Sorry, I should have noted, I have tried in the past bypassing the powerline adapters but get the same result. I'm using dlink dhp-310AV powerling units.

@dmagerl - Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try and see what happens.