New channels show up in GUIDE in error

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
HBGDawg

HTPC Specs: Show details

New channels show up in GUIDE in error

Post by HBGDawg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Sometimes when I start the GUIDE, there are new channels found but I didn't do a scan. Any idea how to stop that?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:12 pm

What kind of tuner do you have? OTA, CableCard, other?

You might have to re-run tuner setup, to inform your Guide of channels you have and have not.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:50 pm

You could create a Favorite Lineup. Then only those stations you want are shown. It'd be a real pain setting it up if there are a lot of stations though.

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Crash2009 wrote:What kind of tuner do you have? OTA, CableCard, other?

You might have to re-run tuner setup, to inform your Guide of channels you have and have not.
I have a Silicondust OTA tuner as well as a Silicondust Cablecard tuner. I will open the guide and out of nowhere are channels I had previously disabled, both OTA as well as cablecard. I hadn't run setup again so not sure why they are coming back from the dead.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:36 am

I don't have either one of those tuners at the moment, but if I did, and there were no other good ideas, I would remove them both from WMC and then add them in at the same time. Tuner setup BOTH at the same time.

About all I could find on that subject was a Tivo situation.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=458406

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I don't have either one of those tuners at the moment, but if I did, and there were no other good ideas, I would remove them both from WMC and then add them in at the same time. Tuner setup BOTH at the same time.

About all I could find on that subject was a Tivo situation.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=458406
Judging from some of the comments, it appears "something" is re-scanning for channels periodically and that is how they are showing up in the guide. Is there a WMC setting I am missing that tells it to re-scan channels? Anything in the Silicondust firmware? Any other ideas?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:26 pm

I think what you are experiencing is new guide data being downloaded from the internet, not from a re-scan. If there is a change in the line-up, like a channel move, then it will do what you describe.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:02 am

dmagerl wrote:I think what you are experiencing is new guide data being downloaded from the internet, not from a re-scan. If there is a change in the line-up, like a channel move, then it will do what you describe.
Yes, at least for CableCard devices, the channels that appear in the guide are from the guide listings download and have nothing to do with the actual channels that you have/don't have on your Cable Card device. If a channel is added to the guide by the guide/cable provider it will show up "enabled" by default in your guide, even if you don't subscribe to that channel.

Will_Cain

Post by Will_Cain » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Same things happening to me. Ive got Haupage td500 tuner. I've tweaked a registry entry that's supposed to stop this but it hasn't. Channels that I've disabled keep reappearing, even though most of them don't work properly. So.. I'm currently using favourites as I'm fed up with resetting all the duplicates etc. even with guide tool which seems a bit eratic on my system. I suspect my problem is to do with tuning the channels without the aerial amp so that it doesn't pick up remote channels in preference to my local ones, why it does this is beyond me, and then using the amp so that channels like "drama" work properly, once again I've no idea why this channel is so unreliable.

Assuming this isn't going to be solved is there anyway to the the guide to default to showing favourites on start up.

Cheers

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 pm

Will_Cain wrote:...is there anyway to the the guide to default to showing favourites on start up.
Mine has always defaulted to the last favorites list I used. Does yours revert to the unfiltered guide every time? Are you doing cold boots or just sleep/wake?

Will_Cain

Post by Will_Cain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 pm

I always use Hibenate never sleep as I find it more reliable. I can't see any setting to say use the favourites as default. I'm on Win 7

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Will_Cain wrote:I always use Hibenate never sleep as I find it more reliable. I can't see any setting to say use the favourites as default. I'm on Win 7
There is no setting. That's just how it's supposed to work by default. I have no idea why it's not working for you.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Who is your cable provider? They may be shuffling around channels for some reason (switching analog to digital, etc) and that may cause some channels to appear 'new' to the tuner and/or Windows. My Provider (Cox) is about to start the digital transition for all their basic channels. Some other providers are doing something similar.

Will_Cain

Post by Will_Cain » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:47 pm

I'm in the UK so only digital.
However I have found the setting to make fovorites the default.
It's in Settings, TV, media guide. Don't know how I missed it
Thanks for the help