HDHomeRun Prime, intermittent No TV Signal Detected

Horkonaut

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomeRun Prime, intermittent No TV Signal Detected

Post by Horkonaut » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Hello,

I've got an HDHomeRun Prime hooked up to a tuning adapter (a Motorola MTR700) and I have a cable card from Charter Cable. I am running WMC on Win 7.

Occasionally (less than 5% of the time), I will record a program and when I sit down to watch it, part of the program will not be recorded and in place of it I will see a blank screen that says "No TV signal detected" or something similar.

Yesterday, I was watching live TV (while recording the show), when apparently the signal dropped out and the "No TV signal detected" screen came up. I could watch other channels with no issues, just not the one I was recording. On a hunch, I stopped the recording of the program and then tried watching that channel live again (this time without simultaneously recording it). And voila, I could again watch that channel. I could also record the channel again without issues.

My theory is that either the tuning adapter, the HDHomeRun Prime, or the cable card is producing a temporary glitch where there is legitimately no TV signal for WMC to record. However, after the glitch disappears, it seems like WMC cannot recover the channel unless it uses a fresh tuner or resets the tuner it is currently using for this channel (which I suspect is what happens when I stop the recording - it frees up the tuner). And if I had to guess, I would lay the blame on the tuning adapter, just because of past experience with Charter-leased equipment.

Is there a way to tell WMC to keep on trying to find the signal so that I don't have to manually reset the tuner everytime this happens?

Roginator

Post by Roginator » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:12 am

I was having similar issues. After tightening all my cables, the problem seems to have stopped.

Dabum

Post by Dabum » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:25 am

Was having similar issue on mine. Gradually kept getting worse. Kept getting WMC reporting loss of TV signal.
My media center was connected through Gigabit 802.11AC connection. and when would look at the signal quality reported by the Home Run Prime strength was 95% quality was 100% ( you can view by opening web browser to it's IP).
when stream things like youtube, Netflix didn't have any issue.
no issues found with basic ping, nmap

Did some network monitoring with a packet sniffer and found was losing packets with the higher network demand of the HD HR Prime. The WiFi access point eventually failed, stopped transmitting on both bands even after factory reset re-flash of firmware.
WMC computer now connected by gigabit LAN as my backup router/AP just N600. No problems since and has been about a month.

So if signal showing OK on the HR Prime, may want to check your network as mine kept reporting loss of tv signal