From Old HDHR to New HDHR

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
jp2code

HTPC Specs: Show details

From Old HDHR to New HDHR

Post by jp2code » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:36 pm

I had an old HDHR Dual tuner installed, and working with Windows Media Center.

With the introduction of Silicon Dust's TV app for XBMC, I decided to try one of their newer tuners that were capable of doing this (HDHR4, I think).

We use WMC as the backend to do all of the work.

I ran the Silicon Dust software and got the new tuners configured. The old tuner is sitting on the desk, waiting for me to decide what to do with it.

Now, whenever I go into WMC to configure the settings, I don't see any options in there to specify what tuner I am using.

When I try to scan for channels, WMC can't find anything - I do see channels when I run HDHomeRun's Quick View tools.

What are the steps to tell WMC that the tuners it has registered are no longer on the network? I would have thought it would notice that right off, but it did not.
~Joe

jp2code

Post by jp2code » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:40 pm

FYI: I was on here a few (several?) years ago. It seems my profile was deleted after I took a very long break from the site.
~Joe

STC

Post by STC » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:03 pm

It is not our policy to delete inactive accounts. What member name were you?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

jp2code

Post by jp2code » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:13 pm

STC wrote:It is not our policy to delete inactive accounts. What member name were you?
This one is all I ever use for any forum.

There isn't anything special about it*, but it is unique enough that no one else ever uses it.

*Unless your name is Joe Pool and you like to write computer code.
~Joe

STC

Post by STC » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:20 pm

You would be unable to register the same name or email address twice.

It's possible you confusing us with the Microsoft owned, now defunct thegreenbutton dot COM.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:35 pm

jp2code wrote:I had an old HDHR Dual tuner installed, and working with Windows Media Center.

With the introduction of Silicon Dust's TV app for XBMC, I decided to try one of their newer tuners that were capable of doing this (HDHR4, I think).

We use WMC as the backend to do all of the work.

I ran the Silicon Dust software and got the new tuners configured. The old tuner is sitting on the desk, waiting for me to decide what to do with it.

Now, whenever I go into WMC to configure the settings, I don't see any options in there to specify what tuner I am using.

When I try to scan for channels, WMC can't find anything - I do see channels when I run HDHomeRun's Quick View tools.

What are the steps to tell WMC that the tuners it has registered are no longer on the network? I would have thought it would notice that right off, but it did not.
Rerun TV setup in Media Center.

jp2code

Post by jp2code » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:46 pm

mcewinter wrote:Rerun TV setup in Media Center.
That is the one item I have not yet completed. Does this step require Internet?

We are in a new location (moved to a new house). The zip code is different, and we don't have Internet (yet).

The TV Setup application just sits there at 0%, and never moves forward.

I can't tell if this is because it can't get an Internet signal out of our router or because it can't read any TV signal from the old tuner.

Thanks!
~Joe

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Yes, you need a connection. OTA may not need a connection, I'm not entirely sure.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Initial TV setup needs internet access since it is trying to connect to the MS guide servers to download the listings (and channel lists for your zipcode...

Also, both SD view and the kodi addon need interent access to get to the SD guide as well.

PS... If you have enough Antenna(s) or splitters, the old HDHR will coexist with the new models on the same network. If you have more than 2 of either unit (so more than 4 ATSC tuners), TunerSalad will allow to use the additional ATSC tuners.
Time is on my side.

jp2code

Post by jp2code » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 pm

AT&T is supposed to be showing up today to get my Internet going at this new place.

Hopefully, once that is done I can watch the local news. Our town had tornados over the weekend, and I didn't know it until this morning! I know ignorance is bliss, but ...I think I would have preferred to have had a heads-up.
~Joe