Windows 10

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Dean L. Surkin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:01 am

Would it be fair to say, since Windows 10 drivers are substantially similar to Windows 8 drivers, that those of us using Windows 7 for our HTPCs should stick with Windows 7 and never update? Otherwise, our Echo hardware and My Media Center app will not work.

I know that installing Windows Media Center is possible with the Windows 10 preview, but I don't know if Windows 10 will actually include Windows Media Center. Does anyone know about this?
Dean L. Surkin

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:13 am

I fail to understand the desire to take something that's working and does exactly what you want, and change it into something completely unknown.

Do that on a play machine. Not on a production machine.

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:00 am

Adam: That's of course good advice, and I'm not planning on breaking my Windows 7 with Echos (the periodic freezes are bad enough as is). I am thinking ahead, since Windows 7 is now at end-of-life. I, on the other hand, am not quite at end-of-life (I'm hoping for another 30 years or so), and I imagine my entertainment hardware will change quite a bit over the next few decades.
Dean L. Surkin

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:59 am

Windows 7 is nowhere near end of life.

It's at end of mainstream support, which means they will no longer add features or service packs to it. Security updates, hotfixes, and the knowledge base will be available until 2020.

tootal2

Post by tootal2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:04 pm

this is why im going back to tivo. after 2020 the echo will no longer work. I hope ceton finds a fix to this soon.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:57 pm

tootal2 wrote:this is why im going back to tivo. after 2020 the echo will no longer work. I hope ceton finds a fix to this soon.
The end of life means Microsoft won't help you with support, it doesn't mean that your products will stop working.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:02 pm

tootal2 wrote:this is why im going back to tivo. after 2020 the echo will no longer work. I hope ceton finds a fix to this soon.
The Echo will always work with Windows 7 no matter what the year.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:17 pm

End of life could mean that the program guide won't be available.

With the increasing availability of streaming services - it's likely that by the time WMC is end of life, and Microsoft pulls the plug on the program guides, that a better alternative will be available through streaming of both live and previously broadcast content.

Recently there was an announcement that cable modem technology is improving soon to potentially support download speeds of up to 1Gbps - which would easily support multiple TVs live streaming HD or UHD content.

While I still hope that with Microsoft's new "Windows everywhere" strategy (common core on PCs, tablets, phones, ...) that they'll again get interested in live & recorded TV programming and we could see an evolution of WMC to fully support HDTV/UHDTV and the new streaming options from a single Media Center, but, if they don't provide it - someone else will.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:05 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:Would it be fair to say, since Windows 10 drivers are substantially similar to Windows 8 drivers, that those of us using Windows 7 for our HTPCs should stick with Windows 7 and never update? Otherwise, our Echo hardware and My Media Center app will not work.

I know that installing Windows Media Center is possible with the Windows 10 preview, but I don't know if Windows 10 will actually include Windows Media Center. Does anyone know about this?
I'd like to not that the "My Media Center app" works great on Windows 8.1, I have not tested this on Windows 10.