Top 3 Vendors in TV Tuners?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
jwckauman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Top 3 Vendors in TV Tuners?

Post by jwckauman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:07 pm

If you had to rank the 3 best, most viable vendors in the TV Tuner card business, who would they be? I need to buy a new card to replace my HVR-1600 and was going to replace it with another Hauppauge, but I want to make sure i'm set for the future as well.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:54 pm

1. SiliconDust
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:26 pm

2. Hauppage

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Silicon Dust makes at least some Hauppauge tuners, like the 2650, but I would not recommend that one.

Although Ceton isn't as good as SD, I live with its shortcomings in order to have 6 tuners with a single card.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:00 pm

mdavej wrote:Silicon Dust makes at least some Hauppauge tuners, like the 2650, but I would not recommend that one.

Although Ceton isn't as good as SD, I live with its shortcomings in order to have 6 tuners with a single card.
That's the only one they make for them. I would recommend it over any Ceton tuner (but if you look at the tuner OP is looking to replace, Ceton doesn't even have a competing product - but even if they did, it wouldn't come recommended by me).

I would also say 3. Avermedia

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:06 pm

What kind of tuners? QAM? CableCARD? ATSC?

The amount and type of tuners you need might steer you to a specific product.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Also, OP says he wants to make sure he's prepared for the future - that really only leaves SiliconDust no matter what type of tuner he needs - aside from the stability/quality of their products - they're the only ones actively branching out to support/develop for multiple platforms/devices with their tuners. So for 'future proofing', they're the ONLY choice ATM.

jwckauman

Post by jwckauman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:39 pm

To clarify, i'm looking at ClearQAM and OTA as my sources at the moment (i.e. free content). How do you feel about Hauppauge as a company? Were they once a bigger name and if so, why are they no longer tops?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Ed  wrote:Also, OP says he wants to make sure he's prepared for the future - that really only leaves SiliconDust no matter what type of tuner he needs - aside from the stability/quality of their products - they're the only ones actively branching out to support/develop for multiple platforms/devices with their tuners. So for 'future proofing', they're the ONLY choice ATM.
True. There is also no future in Clear QAM. IMO, if the OP still has cable, it would be foolish to not consider a cable card tuner. It's still going to be around for several more years, probably for the life of whatever tuner he gets. Besides the 2650, there are no Hauppauge cable card tuners.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:16 pm

I would only consider two brands...Ceton and Silicondust. They are the two major players, anything else out there is probably already passe or near end of life.

Silicondust is more of a future proof product as mentioned as their focus goes beyond just Media Center. Personally, I can watch cable TV on Andoid tablet, my iPad(s), my Dell Venue Pro (without Media Center) and on my Media Center, of course, with my Silicondust tuners (CC and ATSC).

...but if you want more than three tuners in one device then Ceton is worth considering. Ceton is being understandably silent if they indeed have future offerings but their lineup is getting rather stale by comparison. If your preference is to have your tuner reside inside your HTPC for whatever reason then Ceton might be ideal.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 pm

mdavej wrote:
Ed  wrote:Also, OP says he wants to make sure he's prepared for the future - that really only leaves SiliconDust no matter what type of tuner he needs - aside from the stability/quality of their products - they're the only ones actively branching out to support/develop for multiple platforms/devices with their tuners. So for 'future proofing', they're the ONLY choice ATM.
True. There is also no future in Clear QAM. IMO, if the OP still has cable, it would be foolish to not consider a cable card tuner. It's still going to be around for several more years, probably for the life of whatever tuner he gets. Besides the 2650, there are no Hauppauge cable card tuners.
what about the 3250? http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r3250.html

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Ceton tuners do work with JRiverMC in addition to WMC with the caveat that the cable system must be copy freely (i.e. FIOS or Comcast - no TWC or any copy once providers). The tuners will work you just won't receive any protected channels.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:41 pm

cwinfield wrote:
mdavej wrote:
what about the 3250? http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r3250.html
Was not even aware that existed. Nice to see, even though it most likely is just a re-branded HDHR Prime.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:02 pm

cwinfield wrote:what about the 3250? http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r3250.html
Ed  wrote:Was not even aware that existed.
Me neither. Looks like that model has been hiding at Best Buy for a couple of years now. The reviews are very entertaining since most are written by complete morons. Several have tried to use the tuning adapter USB port to connect it to a computer and "program" it.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:30 pm

mdavej wrote:
cwinfield wrote:what about the 3250? http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r3250.html
Ed  wrote:Was not even aware that existed.
Me neither. Looks like that model has been hiding at Best Buy for a couple of years now. The reviews are very entertaining since most are written by complete morons. Several have tried to use the tuning adapter USB port to connect it to a computer and "program" it.
That's just a Prime wearing a Hauppauge suit. Personally, I would get the Prime even though you could probably find the Hauppage for a few bucks less. If you have issues with a SD product, you can go to their forums for a wealth of knowledge and help and superb customer support all around.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Seems the 3250 runs about double the price of a Prime, even on ebay. Given my experience with the 2650, I'll pass.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Also I'm assuming you wouldn't get all the benefits of the Prime (as in HDHR view apps on various platforms w/channel guide and logos) with that, seeing as it probably has a modified/different firmware.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:03 am

I'm using a pair of AVerMedia Duet dual tuner cards for OTA. However they are no longer listed on AVerMedia's website. They were discontinued, then available, then discontinued again. I haven't looked lately but presume they are no longer available from the manufacturer. That being said, a few years ago I bought one new for about $65 & one from ebay for about $50 & they both work great. Then bought another new one as a back up from Amazon for $50 when they were temporarily available.

KevinRush

Post by KevinRush » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Any current updated thoughts on this old topic?
I'm looking for a OTA tuner with multiple tuners to supplement my centon cable card tuners. (Thinking of phasing out the problematic Comcast) Preferably a ethernet solution, but would consider a PCIe card. I am hoping to continue using my "whole house" Windows Media Center computers, but would like to add any new features, and future proof if I can.

I've just started investigating this topic.

Best Wishes

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:07 pm

KevinRush wrote:I'm looking for a OTA tuner with multiple tuners to supplement my Ceton cable card tuners. (Thinking of phasing out the problematic Comcast) Preferably a ethernet solution, but would consider a PCIe card. I am hoping to continue using my "whole house" Windows Media Center computers, but would like to add any new features, and future proof if I can.
Get the HDHomeRun Extend. An network device, so you don't have to take up space inside your system; it also transcodes H.264.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-extend/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct