Windows 8.1 - Worth it for an XBOX Extender?

hypercube33

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 - Worth it for an XBOX Extender?

Post by hypercube33 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:02 pm

I currently have a Windows 8.1 machine + SiliconDust HD Prime for cable tuning. I recently added a TV a floor away in the master bedroom, and would like to have the media center experience in that room as well. Do I pony up for a cheap tablet ($64) and get MCE on that, and deal with not having shared DVR or is if it worth getting a used XBOX 360 slim and attempting to use it as an extender.

Its not really that clear if its supported, nor how well it works (though I see tons of people posting problems /trying/ to use a 360 as an MCE extender - nothing I've googled shows if its possible or not.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Definitely get the Xbox instead of a tablet. Works perfectly as an extender with Win 7/8/8.1. No offense to the people with extender problems, but those are all self inflicted (bad network, firewalls, antivirus, etc.).

If you use a tablet, not only can it not play shared copy once content, but you must buy the Pro version of Win 8 and buy the WMC add-on, another $100 or so in software alone for all of that. Xbox not only works perfectly as an extender but also gives you tons of other streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Vudu, etc., all with a better interface than you'd get on a tablet.

And do get a remote of some kind. Makes life much easier.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:30 pm

No offense to the people with extender problems, but those are all self inflicted (bad network, firewalls, antivirus, etc.).
+1*1000.

Yeah, we're here to help each other, but really--we're all tired of hearing about how "it's impossible to run wires, and I have to use my cableco's provided router/gateway with its built in wireless, but I really really really really really want this to work so drop what you're doing and make it so."

Oh, and there was the most recent one, where someone asked, "have you uninstalled your firewall?" to which came the response, "yes, I disabled my firewall, still no change". Apparently in some parts of the world, "uninstall" = "disable". But I don't know where that part of the world is.

hypercube33

Post by hypercube33 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks, I'll get one.

I have gigabit wiring throughout my apartment, and Wireless-AC 1900 wireless otherwise. I wish truely that there was an extender built into windows since the tablets would be more than enough power to stream the RDP and are only 5-10W draw, max.

I guess I'll pick one up to make the wife happy. Cheers!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:01 pm

If you are that concerned about power, an Echo draws 5W and does work with Win 8.x. Only it has no on-screen interface, so you have to control it and view the guide and recording list with your smartphone. I ran that way for a few months when I was trying out Win 8 on my main HTPC. I found it awkward, but you might not since you'd be willing to run a tablet.