Solution: Set audio delay sync (Sound Synchronization)

JMThomas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Solution: Set audio delay sync (Sound Synchronization)

Post by JMThomas » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:56 am

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 Media Cneter and have no problems with the audio sync for recorded TV, except when the program itself is out of sync.

This happens quite often on ME TV, COZI, Antenna TV, CW, and other networks which distribute compressed reruns. Just like many mpg files and flash files uploaded to the internet have sync problems, the programs themselves are "out of sync" as broadcast. The sync problem is in the material itself; the commercials, news reports, etc. sound fine.

If you use a player like VLC, adjusting the audio delay for the program is a menu option. In WMP and WMC, there is no way to make an adjustment -- an open issue since forever.

I had been fixing the problem by adding audio delay with my external AV receiver. But last weekend, Miami Vice needed a negative offset, where the video needed to be delayed abut 250 ms relative to the sound. And my cheap AV receiver can only move the sound backwards, not forwards.

Research found that the LAV splitter can insert delay between the audio and video streams, including a delay for the video. A negative delay puts the audio ahead of the picture. A positive value will put the sound behind the video.
  • Download Shark007's Advanced codec settings application http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html. When you install it, watch carefully for offers from open candy so it doesn't also install a bunch of junk.
  • Run the 32 bit settings app, even if you have a 64 bit machine, just to cover the bases where 32 bit code gets used.
    1. Click the "Reset All" button at the page bottom, and wait a few seconds.
    2. Check the "Shark007 SUGGESTED settings box" at the bottom, and wait a few seconds for the operation to complete.
    3. Click the "Config" tab (64 bit only) and click the "set 64bit player" radio button. (In theory, you don't have to use 64 bit WMP.)
    4. Click the "Audio" tab and then the "setup LAV audio" button. A "Properties Properties" (sic) page will open.
      1. Click the "Audio Settings" tab
      2. On the right column, check the "Enable Audio Delay" box and set your chosen delay.
      3. Uncheck the "Auto A/V Sync correction" box on the lower left options.
      4. Click OK to close the LAV settings page.
    5. Click the "MPG~MP4" tab, and make sure the "Use LAV's splitter (default)" radio buttons are checked.
    6. Click exit to close the Shark007 app.
  • Now run the 64 bit settings app, and repeat the steps you made with the 32 bit app. Also, select the 64 bit WMP.
  • Reboot your system. This guarantees the codec settings get picked up everywhere.
  • Future changes to the LAV splitter delay should only require you to stop and resume any program playing. This should get the stream re-opened and LAV attached with the updated setting.
Now with everything delayed, I have to use my AV receiver with normal programs to undo the LAV splitter delay. But that's just a few presses on the remote control buttons.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:36 pm

I have definitely had times when I could have used this. Thanks!

JMThomas

Post by JMThomas » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:45 pm

You can download the LAV Splitter install package from https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases.

Once installed, you can open the LAV Audio Properties page directly using an icon in the All Programs menu.
  • For XP: "Start" / "All programs" / "LAV Filters" / "LAV Audio Configuration".
  • For Win7: "Start" then type "LAV" in the find box and pick "LAV Audio Configuration" from the result list.
Consider pinning the icon to your start menu/task bar, and/or hooking up a hot key for it.