Xbox 360 pause / freeze picture and sound intermitant

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
agent86

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 pause / freeze picture and sound intermitant

Post by agent86 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 am

I have a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit Pro running on a well over spec computer, 16G Ram, I7 Processor, ssd etc as it was going to be a home server. Works 100% fine when using computer with Media Center.

I use Xbox 360 (hard wired network) and for the most part it works fine also but I am getting about every 3 hours of watching recorded TV where some time in the middle of the show it just stops audio and the picture freezes. I say freeze because no remote is used no on-screen indication that it is going into pause. The picture is perfect just as if you paused the box. I have left it for 15 min and it stays stuck. When I stop it that time seems to be added to the recording so say it freezes at 1 hour then I leave for 10 minutes then stop and play again it goes to approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. So it appears that even though the screen and audio is in pause in the background the xbox is still playing but not showing on screen. Any ideas where to start? Checked and changed network cabling to another outlet still same. I have used the xbox in the past trouble free but not in the last 6 months. When I have had any network problems in the past the Xbox 360 tells you anyway. I do have fairly basic install of Windows 7 pro with all updates and no antivirus. I do have Shark007 codec pack (used previously without problems with Xbox 360) without the crapware it tries to install if you don't read and skip the install. Any help in trying to diagnose would be great. Using Media Center since 2006 so quite familiar with it. Thanks.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:42 pm

There is a small chance that choosing to use [Reset All] in the Shark007 64bit Settings Application followed by selection of the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox could correct your issue.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

agent86

Post by agent86 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:58 am

Thanks I tried that without success when troubleshooting. I was not blaming your codec pack as I have used it for a long time on many media centers. I just put the info in as it is often asked. I will try it again and get back. It could be a faulty Xbox I might try and borrow another one. I haven't used mine for ages but need to get Media Center into another room in the house and used the kids old xbox 360.

agent86

Post by agent86 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Watched MKV from Xbox 360 no problems. Watched Recorded TV still problems. I am guessing this is just random and will probably happen to non WTV files. Paused 3 times in movie Recorded TV wtv file. Stop Play skip back and it continued on for a while. The program is certainly continuing on after the screen pauses and no sound.