Windows Update Issues - Jan. 14, 2015

schmidtwi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Update Issues - Jan. 14, 2015

Post by schmidtwi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:51 am

Anyone experience WMC problems today with the Windows Updates? I had to uninstall all updates to get WMC to recognize channels.

Why doesn't MS like WMC users? :x

droopie

Post by droopie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:15 pm

I have a Win7PC running WMC and 1 Xbox360 extender in the great room on my 50" tv.

I'm not sure what issue you are having, but I stayed up til 1Am Monday night watching the recorded National Championship game...no problems whatsoever. Didn't have a single problem....even though the game was soooo long it stopped recording with about 3 min game time left. Not that the result was in doubt. I flipped over to Sport Center just to make sure Oregon didn't kick 5 successful onside kicks in a row and win. Again, live tv for 20 minutes, no problem.

Haven't turned tv or xbox (only used as extender) on since Monday night until last night. Go to watch season finale of Oak Island and the xbox goes into WMC very slowly...sits at blank blue screen til the point I thought the pc needed to be rebooted, but just as I got up to go into office and check, it came up. I click on recorded tv and again it takes forever to go there. I finally pick Oak Island and start watching it. It pauses and starts and then finally quits altogether. I go ok, shut xbox off, and reboot PC...I even checked windows update but nothing had been installed since last week. Figured a reboot would take care of it. Well it didn't. After rebooting the pc, the xbox wouldn't connect to WMC. Fine. I go reboot my switch, router and cable modem. The xbox will connect but again takes forever to come up and sits at recorded tv even after hitting ok on the remote about 5 times and waiting for 10 minutes. I gave up and went to the bedroom where we still have a Comcast box and watched Oak Island from On Demand. Guess tonite I need to delve into this further.

schmidtwi

Post by schmidtwi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Interesting, Droopie. I use a HD HomeRun Prime with a cable card. Monday & Tuesday night TV worked just fine, but I couldn't get any channels on Wednesday. Recognizing the same thing happened with another Windows Update awhile back, I checked my updates - sure enough - 5 critical updates installed on Jan 14. Uninstalled them all, and WMC works fine.

Didn't try any HD recordings, but the Updates definitely impacted live cable TV.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:24 am

I have heard a couple of reports but not the volume of last time and I haven't updated yet... I want to assume it is KB3022777 that might be causing the issue based on what it should do(tighten firewall, most of the files are for network status and awareness) but am not certain. If anyone figures it out, Id like to know before getting around to updating until this weekend... I assume it only affects network based tuners and maybe extenders.... I believe one of the other updates was for remote desktop so that might be affecting the extenders.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:39 am

Everything's still running fine for me with the latest updates. Using Ceton ETH6 and Echo extenders with no problems.

droopie

Post by droopie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:32 am

schmidtwi wrote:Interesting, Droopie. I use a HD HomeRun Prime with a cable card. Monday & Tuesday night TV worked just fine, but I couldn't get any channels on Wednesday. Recognizing the same thing happened with another Windows Update awhile back, I checked my updates - sure enough - 5 critical updates installed on Jan 14. Uninstalled them all, and WMC works fine.

Didn't try any HD recordings, but the Updates definitely impacted live cable TV.

I have two Hd Homerun Primes, but my problem turned out NOT to be a MS Update this time. The onboard NIC went out. It was only saying it had a 10mb connection no matter what, and even then the link light was blinking really fast. Since there are people who say Realtek doesn't play nice all the time with WMC, I grabbed a new Pci_E off Amazon...with a broadcom chipset. Already my speedtest was the fastest ever by about 6mbs. Sitting in here at PC I heard Xbox reconnect and start playing. All seems well here.

paulymorph

Post by paulymorph » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 am

Droopie, you may have had an issue with your nic but i'm experiencing the exactly same behavior you described since the Jan 15 updates. Takes a good 10 minutes for recorded tv to open on my extenders. I'm going to try uninstalling the updates one at a time to see if it makes a difference. If anyone else figures this out, please speak up.