Watch LiveTV on PC and laptop?

dishwater63

HTPC Specs: Show details

Watch LiveTV on PC and laptop?

Post by dishwater63 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Setup:
HD Homerun Prime
Windows 7 x64 HTPC

My Homerun, HTPC, and the TV the HTPC is connected to is all in the same room (living room). I want to connect a laptop to the network via ethernet. What do I need to do to be able to watch LiveTV on the laptop?

Nothing fancy on the network side. All the same subnet, no domains, just the HTPC has a static IP.

Thanks in advance.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:02 pm

What laptop (specs)? Who is your provider and how much do they protect?

The biggest problems with laptops are wireless(which it sounds like you won't have a problem with) and embedded displayport (eDP) as this will prevent the laptop from displaying protected content (and may make you have to run WMC in a window and then restore back to full screen to occasionally make it discard an error message). If your provider doesn't protect much and it has a modern GPU, HDHomerun VIEW might be sufficient to run live tv (others have needed to "downgrade" to QTV and/or use VLC). For some with a laptop WMC "isn't" an option as they don't want to spend the money to update to "pro" just to get WMC.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:36 pm

dishwater63 wrote:Setup:
HD Homerun Prime
Windows 7 x64 HTPC

My Homerun, HTPC, and the TV the HTPC is connected to is all in the same room (living room). I want to connect a laptop to the network via ethernet. What do I need to do to be able to watch LiveTV on the laptop?

Nothing fancy on the network side. All the same subnet, no domains, just the HTPC has a static IP.

Thanks in advance.
Install the HDHomerun software and set up MC. You've done it once on your HTPC...do it again.

dishwater63

Post by dishwater63 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:11 pm

signcarver wrote:What laptop (specs)?...
The laptop is running Win7 pro and I don't have any premium channels, so copy protected content shouldn't be a problem.
mcewinter wrote: Install the HDHomerun software and set up MC. You've done it once on your HTPC...do it again.
Right, but this is what I wasn't sure of. My HDHomerun plugs directly into my HTPC via ethernet. Should the Homerun plug into the router instead? If I run the Homerun software on the laptop, will it just automatically find the Homerun? I mean, the Homerun device isn't on the network.

Sorry for the ignorance.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Yes, if you want to access it from other computers you will need to plug the tuner into the Network, it doesn't share across the network just by being plugged into the PC.

Plug it into the router and you should still be able to use it the same on both devices. The installation software will see the tuner on the network when you run it.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:35 pm

^ Yes! Plug it into your router, as it was designed.

dishwater63

Post by dishwater63 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:48 pm

mcewinter wrote:^ Yes! Plug it into your router, as it was designed.
I'm sorry, I didn't know. When I originally set up the HDHomerun Prime, it stated to plug the ethernet cable into the computer. Thus the confusion about sharing the tuner. Obviously, if I had known that in the first place, I wouldn't be asking a question.

Thanks to all who answered.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 pm

That explains the confusion. At least now you'll understand the merits of a network connected tuner.