Fresh build - Can I move my recordings?

ejvette

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fresh build - Can I move my recordings?

Post by ejvette » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm building a new htpc to replace my outdated hardware with fresh copy of W7 the only hardware moving to the new htpc will be the ceton quad tuner. Is there anyway to salvage my "copy protected" recorded TV programs and move them to the new PC?
Ed

tip2toe

Post by tip2toe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi

i have rebuilt my media centre pc around 4 times . i copy the entire recorded tv folder and paste the contents into the new foldere created

hope this helps

regards

Craig

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:20 pm

No, as far as the copy-once recordings are concerned. That's the whole point of PlayReady, and the new hardware will invalidate all the DRM keys. Either re-record them on the new machine, or watch them before you shut down the old machine.
-Alan

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 pm

tip2toe wrote:Hi

i have rebuilt my media centre PC around 4 times . i copy the entire recorded tv folder and paste the contents into the new foldere created
this works fine if it is Non-DRM (i.e. copy once) files...But as stated, the whole point of the PlayReady stuff is to prevent the files from playing on anything but the original computer.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:01 pm

If possible, after removing the tuner, if you keep the old hardware/system around - you can still fire up WMC on that system and play the movies from that system or from an extender connected to it.

All of the complexity of DRM , CableCards and PlayReady are there to prevent copy protected programs from being viewed on anything but the original hardware.