Dual Tuner Colossus

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
wpjonesnh

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by wpjonesnh » Sun May 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Pir8Man

Post by Pir8Man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:16 pm

i know this is an old topic. But I had to re-setup my WMC today from scratch. Configuring Dual Colossus cards was relatively simple with the devcon batch file linked on page 1. My WMC box is secondary to my main DVR unit. It runs dual Colossus cards that are running Genie mini receivers. As I could not find definitive instructions for channel changing, I thought I'd post my findings here:

The Internal Blaster is fully supported via WMC, but not when using dual cards. This is a Hauppage limitation that will NOT be resolved. I did come across a few examples to setup dual tuning via 3rd party software/hardware. In my testing, I could not get any of the free versions to work and I was not going to pay for a product that may/may-not work. Fortunately, there is not need to use/purchase 3rd party software if your WMC and DVR are on the same network... You can use HTTP (SHEF) commands to control the main DVR and any mini units in the house...

Working from a link about resolving this issue for SageTV, I created a batch file that fed the necessary commands to the main DVR unit via CURL application to change channels for my two mini tuners:
NOTE: "XXXXXXXXXXXX" below for CLIENTADDR needs to be changed to the MAC addresses of each of your mini tuners, and "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" must be changed to the IP of your main DVR unit.

Code: Select all

@echo off
rem  
rem  In the script below, the %1 represents the tuner device (%DEVICE%) name 
rem  passed from Hauppage Setup. The %2 represents the channel (%CHANNEL%) value passed 
rem  from WMC.
rem  Both values used as arguments to the executable batch file

rem  Each device must be assigned to an IP address
set CURDEVICE=%1
if %CURDEVICE% EQU 0 set CLIENTADDR=XXXXXXXXXXXX
if %CURDEVICE% EQU 1 set CLIENTADDR=XXXXXXXXXXXX

rem  Convert channel designations to tuning commands
set CHANRAW=%2

c:\dtv\curl.exe "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/tv/tune?major=%CHANRAW%&clientAddr=%CLIENTADDR%"
The simple script grabs the device ID from the Hauppage MC Setup application and the channel to tune from WMC and the submits them via SHEF commands. As a batch file, the parameters were not passing correctly to the 'external blaster', so I had to convert it to an executable file here: http://www.f2ko.de/programs.php?lang=en&pid=ob2e
Once converted to an executable I put the new file and curl.exe into a new folder C:\dtv\

Now that I have my "external blaster" script setup, I launched the Hauppage "HDPVR MC Setup" application to configure my new 'external blaster". Provided you configured your two (or more) capture cards as described earlier in this thread, you will see two cards listed in the setup application. For each tuner, uncheck "Use Internal Blaster" and check "Use External Blaster". Enter the path to your script executable file in "App Path". Enter "%i %c" in "App Args". %i will take the DeviceId from the next line. Therefore, the DeviceId file needs to correlate to the two (or more) device id's defined in your batch file. (in mine the tuner on top has DeviceId=0 and the tuner on bottom has DeviceId=1)

Apply all changes and reboot computer.

Finally WMC should use your "external blaster" script to change your channels correctly for each tuner. The first thing you will need to verify is that your DeviceID and MAC address correlate correctly, else trying to change channels on one tuner will actually effect another tuner. This can be edited in your batch file or in the HDPVR MC Setup application. (if you edit your batch file, you need to re-convert it to an exe file)

If anyone needs pictures/better details, let me know.

billrobpv

Post by billrobpv » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:16 pm

I guess my problem is vaguely similar to earlier posts.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows Media Center. WMC is turned on with computer power, and “stays on top”. I have 2 Hauppauge Win HVR2255 tuners, one has an analog cable input, and the other a HD digital antenna (OTA) input. I have successfully set up all the cable and OTA signals. I can play (Live TV) and record OTA digital signals. I don't use a Hauppauge Blaster.
Here is my problem: WMC does not recognize a cable signal until I access another cable (or OTA) channel, and then return to the original cable channel.
After WMC loads, I select “Live TV”. If I left it on a digital channel, it plays OK. If I left it on a cable channel, I get a blue blank screen. When I step (using the + - buttons) to another channel, then I can step return to the original cable channel and get a signal. WMC cannot “see” the cable inputs until I step to another channel and essentially “reset” the inputs. Maybe the problem fix is in the registry, but I would need a little more help there.
I would appreciate any suggestions. Bill Roberts

mceguy...

Post by mceguy... » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:53 am

Hi Guys, I guess I'm coming in late to this party, but it's right on topic to my problems... I have (2) Colossus cards that replaced (2) 1850 cards when I upgraded my DirecTv from SD to HD, needless to say dual Colossus cards don't work with WMC (Win 7 x64 Pro) as Hauppauge have marvelously pointed out in the fine print, so I'm kind a screwed (as I'm now in a 2yr contract for HD)...

I've followed everything in this post from start to here, and I still don't have (2) HD-PVR tuners in device manager, I have everything else (2) colossus capture devices, (2) encoders, but only (1) HD-PVR... (I won't go into the IR thing yet)...

I've set the limittosingle=0 (which I assume means "off") and rebooted, mine is located in the wow6432 link of the registry (apparently it was somewhere else in early releases)...

I then ran the command {devcon.exe install_hcw49swt C:\Program Files (x86)\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService\hcw49s64.inf" HCW49SWT}as shown here. It didn't work in it's original form so I cd to c:\program files (x86)\Hauppauge\mediacenterservice and executed it there and it worked fine, asked me if I wanted it to make changes, yes... I believe it added a folder called driver49 to the tree... So there is really no batch file that's missing, as I didn't find any to run...

I used the MCE setup utility, but it won't let me select both of the devices to activate them, it shows (2) devices though, and it used to popup a warning "that only (1) device is supported", now it doesn't popup anything... I can check the box, but if I reboot, the check goes away, Huh? I'm still left with (1) instance of HD-PVR, no matter what I do...

A few of you have claimed to have (2) set ups in WMC, what driver are you using, what version CD (I have 2.4, 2.6 CDs and 3.9b download), I see there's a new one 3.9c maybe I'll dl it before I pull these cards and return to my 1850 tuners, they worked great w/ Microsoft blasters too...

I would appreciate any other suggestions, please... nothing has worked yet for me, I'm so frustrated with this, it shouldn't be that hard dang it... :x

Pir8Man

Post by Pir8Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:25 am

billrobpv: this thread is about dual Colossus tuners. dont hijack other threads!

mceguy, sounds like you have done everything to tell windows that there a seond tuner, but you have not informed Media Center. Re-run setup from inside Media Center and it should find the second new tuner.

billrobpv

Post by billrobpv » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Sorry, I did not intend to post incorrectly. I will try again on a different thread or start a new one.
Bill Roberts

michelle

Post by michelle » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:12 am

I am running into the same problem as mceguy. I have 2 of everything in my device manager except for the hd pvr tuner device. When I run the devcon.exe - it says failed, but I do have the Driver49 folder. Every time I check both devices in the Hauppauce MCE utlity and reboot - it unchecks one of them so WMC never sees two tuners. I have been through this thread several times and don't think I'm missing anything, but I must be! How to I get that second checkmark to stay?

mceguy...

Post by mceguy... » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 am

Pir8Man wrote:billrobpv: this thread is about dual Colossus tuners. dont hijack other threads!

mceguy, sounds like you have done everything to tell windows that there a seond tuner, but you have not informed Media Center. Re-run setup from inside Media Center and it should find the second new tuner.
Hey, be nice... He was only looking for info...

Ahhh, so you're telling me I don't need (2) HD-PVR under device manager? Because that's where I'm stuck, I don't have two... So I pulled the cards and re-installed my 1850 models after purchasing a couple of RF converters, everything is back to normal, just NO HD picture... and I get a warning from my DirecTV STBs that my cables are not HD, and that I should press "exit" until the STBs are reset to SD (which I didn't do, the picture is actually better).

During the Holidays, I should have a break in recording, so I'll get back to this and try the Colossus cards again...

To answer one concern, I see some ppl have two colossus but only one is set to satellite, you need to run the Hauppauge MCE setup and select each card and set it to Satellite, once you do that, both should show as satellite in WMC setup... The Hauppauge MCE set up defaults to "Cable" if not changed, I noticed that my first time around. Even though I couldn't get two checked boxes, during the WMC setup I was able to get "satellite" as a selection for the EPG in my area. I then would cancel the setup, to go back and recheck the opposite card and try again. It would then show as "Cable", I know this because at one point I was going back/forth checking the boxes, until I noticed I could highlight each card separately and set things up...

I have a feeling that this problem is cause by the Hauppauge Internal IR Blaster not working as an A & B channel, as any external USB Blaster does, I'll get back to you on this...

mceguy...

Post by mceguy... » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:33 am

michelle wrote:I am running into the same problem as mceguy. I have 2 of everything in my device manager except for the hd pvr tuner device. When I run the devcon.exe - it says failed, but I do have the Driver49 folder. Every time I check both devices in the Hauppauce MCE utlity and reboot - it unchecks one of them so WMC never sees two tuners. I have been through this thread several times and don't think I'm missing anything, but I must be! How to I get that second checkmark to stay?
Mine "failed" too, until I ran my command window "as Administrator" and then used the "cd" command to first go to the C:\, then cd again to the directory where the devcon.exe file is located. Once there use the command: devcon.exe install_hcw49swt "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService\hcw49s64.inf" HCW49SWT

This was also for a 64bit machine, for a 32bit just drop the " (x86)" from the destination directory, and change the "64" to "wt" in the *.inf filename aswell... I may have dropped the quotes too, I can't remember...

It succeeded once I did this, and I'm not sure what it installs, the Driver49 folder may have been there all along, I never checked before running the command...

Here's the archive I was following: http://web.archive.org/web/201307270504 ... 03542.aspx

Let us know if you get it working...

michelle

Post by michelle » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:17 am

I got the batch file from Hauppauge support today, but have yet to try it out.
Here is the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2QyvG ... sp=sharing

mceguy...

Post by mceguy... » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:35 am

I'm so excited, and Bummed at the same time... I finally got both of my Colossus cards with (2) HD-PVRs, but there is no way to change channels on either STB... No IR solution that I can find, Bummer...

Here's all the steps I did to get (2) HD-PVR:

Install the Colossus cards, power ON system

Install Drivers Only from the CD that came with your cards

Install MCE_setup utility from Hauppauge

Done-1 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Hauppauge\HcwDevCentral\Configuration\ and changed the value data for limittosingle=0

Done-2 Re-Booted

Done-3 Run Hauppauge MCE_setup utility to set each tuner to HDMI audio/video/satellite, then to check each box and start the service, check "show advanced details".

Done-4 Re-Booted

Done-5 Open Administrator command window, Command: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService

Done-6 for 64 bit Command: devcon.exe install_hcw49swt "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService\hcw49s64.inf" HCW49SWT
for 32 bit Command: devcon.exe install_hcw49swt "C:\Program Files\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService\hcw49swt.inf" HCW49SWT

Done-7 Re-Boot

Done-8 Run Hauppauge MCE_setup again after viewing (2) HD-PVR's in device manager, set both to satellite and checked the boxes, this time they both are saved. After re-booting

Done-9 Run Windows MCE TV Tuner setup, it see's (2) satellite tuners and sets them both up with correct EPG, but without any IR setup, so it still doesn't work... Everything else still works on the Microsoft MCE USB remote, except for the blasters, and I now have HD picture.

tried-1 Run Hauppauge MCE setup again, selected "external" blaster, and marked ID as 0 & 1 for each card- No Luck

tried-2 Install IR Server Suite, but there is no setup.exe file to run just many *.XML files

tried-3 Download Test builds of IRSS from Media Portal community, but my un-zipper says they're empty... I can't find any info for IRSS newer than 2009, does anyone have a link?

I also tried to install the internal IR receivers/blasters that cam with each card, and the remote app, and Blaster configure app, but only (1) blaster emits any signal and that doesn't change the STB. ports 1, port 2 is greyed out and can't be changed.

I'm giving up again...

mceguy...

Post by mceguy... » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:55 am

michelle wrote:I got the batch file from Hauppauge support today, but have yet to try it out.
Here is the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2QyvG ... sp=sharing
Great news, thanks for posting that... Did you get the IR blasters to work on 2 ports?

michelle

Post by michelle » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:13 am

I don't have my second colossus installed yet. I've been working on getting ip channel changing working on the first one and finally have success with that! I've got to say so far it's pretty slick. I've scheduled a couple recordings for testing, so I want to see how that works out before adding the second colossus card.

Here is that if anyone needs it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2QyvG ... sp=sharing

The zip file is a program called DTVipcontrol.exe - unzip it to the root c:\

In Hauppauge HDPVR MC Setup, uncheck internal blaster, check external blaster and then enter
app path: C:\DTVipcontrol.exe
app arguments: /i 192.168.0.xxx /c %c

Apply all changes and reboot.

I will probably not try to add the second card until the weekend. I will post back my progress.

michelle

Post by michelle » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:58 am

Well, I've had absolutely no luck. The devcon command always fails resulting in an unknown device in the device manager. Even if I go back and try to add the drivers to it manually - it shows up, but I still can't keep both check marks in the mce tool. Can somebody check their registry or the first tab of the mce tool to see how many devices show up? Currently I have three.

I saw once somewhere that this could be done in the registry before the mce tool came along - can anybody verify that?

michelle

Post by michelle » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:50 am

SUCCESS!!! Finally I got it all working. I decided to give it one last shot, so I ran the hcwclear tool to start from scratch. I followed mceguy's steps above and it worked like a charm. I also had to clear my database otherwise WMC would crash during scanning channels - instructions here: http://forums.techarena.in/operating-sy ... ost5347109. Restored my recordings schedule instructions here: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/backup-a ... edule.html - and checked ip channel changing and everything is well.

I hope this helps someone and that I don't have to do again anytime soon!!

mceguy...

Post by mceguy... » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:02 am

michelle wrote:SUCCESS!!! Finally I got it all working. I decided to give it one last shot, so I ran the hcwclear tool to start from scratch. I followed mceguy's steps above and it worked like a charm. I also had to clear my database otherwise WMC would crash during scanning channels - instructions here: http://forums.techarena.in/operating-sy ... ost5347109. Restored my recordings schedule instructions here: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/backup-a ... edule.html - and checked ip channel changing and everything is well.

I hope this helps someone and that I don't have to do again anytime soon!!
Hi Michelle, glad to see you got it working... So now can you help me with the IP control? I downloaded the file from your link and placed it in the C:\ then used the app path & app argu you suggested, but it doesn't seen to be working at all... Do you have any other info? Like where did you originally find the zip file?

I found another one that's called DirecTVIPcontrol.zip, but it's used with Media Portal and I'm using Win7 MCE... That file also came with a *.cmd file with instructions for adding additional channels to the script (I'm not very good at writing scripts, so it's kind of complicated for me).

I'm using H24 DirecTV STB (2) and I have reserved IP addresses for both (so I know what IPs they have), would using the MAC address instead of the IP address work?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Pir8Man

Post by Pir8Man » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 am

mceguy, I am sorry to see you are still fighting this. I tried directvipcontrol but it was not updated for the new SHEF 1.3c commands that the genie clients require. I tried several other similar apps and scripts, but none were updated for the all to necessary CLIENTADDR command. My script was all I could get to work using curl to push the commands I needed within the limitations of Hauppauge's MCE setup utility. But I digress...

You have two H24 units that run older SHEF version. You don't have all the limitations I had to face with genie clients. Your solution is here : https://sites.google.com/site/dtvipcontrol/
then use these instructions: http://forums.directv.com/message/11208644#11208644
and you should be in business.

(michelle's issue was she forgot to change the limittosingle registry entry first time around)

On a side note, I think it hilarious that Hauppauge support pushed out the same batch file command that is in on page one of this thread.

Today I figured out the a solution to the not-so-random screen saver issue. that many people have noticed capturing satellite to colossus cards. Through some research (pronounced: google) I found that the cause was when too many tuners were being used to record programs on the main DVR unit. The reason this caused my genie units to go to screen saver is because my genie clients were connected via analog component cables to my colossus tuner cards. Using one of these: http://www.amazon.com/splitter-ports-sw ... B003UYOEMI
I was able to use some 1-foot hdmi cables to go direct from the genie client to the splitter to one colossus card. Then I did the same from the other genie box to my second colossus card. Then I launched MCE setup utility and change the video and audio input settings to HDMI. I then went to settings on EACH genie unit to ensure HDMI control was ON. Finally I restarted my computer and each genie box.

The reason all this works is that the splitter boxes use HDMI protocol, and support HDCP connection where the colossus cards do not. So with HDMI control enabled and the always powered on video splitter boxes, my genie boxes think I am always watching each tuner whether my computer or TV is actually on or not. This tells the main DVR that it cannot pause this channel to record something because someone is 'watching tv'. And because the splitter boxes support HDCP, I get to watch any encrypted channels too.

mceguy...

Post by mceguy... » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:20 am

Pir8Man wrote:mceguy,

You have two H24 units that run older SHEF version. You don't have all the limitations I had to face with genie clients. Your solution is here : https://sites.google.com/site/dtvipcontrol/
then use these instructions: http://forums.directv.com/message/11208644#11208644
and you should be in business.
Thanks Pir8Man for the links, but it's still not working for me... I tried the www.waltzremote.com after configuring my STBs, and waltz remote found (2), but only one would change channel. So I swapped out that STB with the one from my living room and reconfigured that box/and my router for it's MAC address. Waltzremote can now change that box, but fails with the other. So I reconnected to the 1st and waltz can change it too, it only finds one at a time during its scan, so I assume IP control is working for both.

I made the changes to Hauppauge's MCE setup, but MCE won't utilize it to change the channel, so I'm back at square one and ready to throw in the towel on this one...

Pir8Man

Post by Pir8Man » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:58 am

well if you're gonna give up then thats that.
if you want to solve it. im sure we can. it's tough, but not impossible.

first i'd check the router has the correct mac address for each tuner set to separate ips that could not possibly conflict with anything else on the network. then make sure each tuner grabbed it's specific ip (reboot as necessary) via settings menu. once here waltsremote should find ip for each configured tuner. if it does not find them it does not mean they are not there, just that you will have to manually type the ip for any missing tuner box. if your tuners get the right ip from the router, then they are on the network. if waltzremote fails here even if you manually type in the ip for each tuner that you specified in the router, then you have bigger problems.

also, from your notes above.. remove IRSS, it is un needed. for the blaster, you are correct that only one can emit and the system can only listen for IR on one card at a time. for this reason, you only need one of the IR cables plugged into one card. this is the limitation that apparently cannot be fixed by hauppauge and why us with more than one tuner have so much difficulty. It does not matter which card you plug the cable into, as you can select it in the I2C tab of the MCE Setup Utility. (just match the serial #s) You can leave the device ID's as 0 for both cards. That entry is only used if you use %i in the app args line.

good luck whatever you decide to do.

Pir8Man

Post by Pir8Man » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:06 am

today I found out that my screen saver fix gets defeated if I leave the tuner in a menu. dont recall if it was guide or dvr list. one of the two though.