WMC 8.1 and Xbox One - Guide Setup help

Luigi408

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8.1 and Xbox One - Guide Setup help

Post by Luigi408 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:50 am

Hello,

I need help setting up my Xbox One with my Windows 8.1 WMC PC please. This process is getting me really irritated with Xbox One. I read through couple of threads here but nothing is working.

When I set up my Cable Box on Xbox One it first asks me: What brand is your cable or satellite box? I put MEDIA CENTER PC. In the next screen it asks me: Do you want to be guided through cable or satellite box set up or do you want to enter the model yourself? So I press GUIDE ME. Then I get: We can't tell what cable or satellite box you have!!!

This is where my problem is. How in the world can I get Xbox One to recognize my WMC? I keep trying and putting the IR receiver as close as possible to the Kinect and nothing happens. I even purchased a different remote with IR receiver and nothing happens as well. When I try to put something in ENTER IT. I get no results at all.

In one of the instruction I read here, someone said to go to setting and tell the Xbox One to prevent it from turning off the PC. Guess what? I don't see any Power Option to change this setting on the Xbox One because I cannot get passed by the Cable Box setup in the first place.

How did you guy make it recognize your PC? I have two IR receivers. Both are compatible with Windows 8 and one of them is the remote Rosewill RRC-126. This remote's IR should work with Xbox One. What IR receiver are you guys using?

Let me know if I am doing something wrong. I'm about to toss this console in the garbage.

Thank you all.

Luigi408

Post by Luigi408 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:16 am

Never mind... I figured it out! Instead of selecting Media Center PC when setting up your Cable Box on Xbox One... just search for HP.

HP then works with my USB IR RC-6.

In case anyone that has this problem hope this helps!

Rhody

Post by Rhody » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:03 pm

I am having the same problem. I have a custom-built Media Center PC, so I do not have a brand. I tried entering Media Center PC, and I have the same problem you had. I tried entering HP as you suggested, and it attempts to turn off my HTPC. Of course, it doesn't actually turn off my HTPC. Did you make it through guided setup? Did it turn off (sleep) your PC? What is the remote code (N1272, N2782, N1679, N1267)? Thanks in advance.

mbze430

Post by mbze430 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Rhody wrote: What is the remote code (N1272, N2782, N1679, N1267)? Thanks in advance.
where did you get those remote codes? I have a Dell Zino HD and been trying for days to get it to work. I read the IR receiver IRC-6 and using the stupid guide that say to pick Media Center PC.. and that NEVER works.

I am gonna try this HP method when I get home. But I like to know where you found any remote codes for WMC/Media PC

Rhody

Post by Rhody » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 am

I used "HP" as the brand and used guided setup. Of course, it doesn't actually turn off my computer, but I picked "Yes" anyway. When I hit back a couple of times, it listed my cable box as "HP (remote code N1272)" or something like that. I tried channel up/down and nothing happened. Then I repeated the process, picking "No" the first time and "Yes" the second time. Hitting back a couple of times it now listed "HP (remote code N2782)." Again, I tried channel up/down and it didn't work. I repeated it again, selecting "Yes" the third time and then the fourth time, each time giving a different remote code. None of them work for me.

I'm thinking there is probably a remote code out there that works for me, and you can enter it directly, but I have no idea where I can find a list of these codes other than by this brutal trial and error process.

I have a USB IR receiver. I know it is receiving IR codes from the Kinect, because when I try to use OneGuide to tune to a channel, it does.... something. It usually just goes black for about 10 seconds and comes back, but a few times it changed the aspect ratio in WMC. Strange. I'm thinking the right remote code will do it, but I have no way to know what that is.

mbze430

Post by mbze430 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:16 pm

I have great news! I got it all working even it powers on/off!

I have one of these, Dell IR USB Receiver OVU412002/00. Using the HP code, it actually turns off my WMC machine (however I have set in Windows' power management to Power Button = Standby instead of off).

The only thing "wrong" with this receiver is that is lags. For example. When you want to tune to a double digit channel (ie 56). I will only enter 5, and the next time you try it again, it enter 6. So I found out that when I put a IR blaster right on top of the IR Receiver from the Xbox One's jack, it resolve that issue.

Hope this information helps other, because it took me 2 freaking days to get everything automated.

Rhody

Post by Rhody » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:08 pm

mbze430 wrote:I have great news! I got it all working even it powers on/off!

I have one of these, Dell IR USB Receiver OVU412002/00. Using the HP code, it actually turns off my WMC machine (however I have set in Windows' power management to Power Button = Standby instead of off).

The only thing "wrong" with this receiver is that is lags. For example. When you want to tune to a double digit channel (ie 56). I will only enter 5, and the next time you try it again, it enter 6. So I found out that when I put a IR blaster right on top of the IR Receiver from the Xbox One's jack, it resolve that issue.

Hope this information helps other, because it took me 2 freaking days to get everything automated.
What IR blaster? Is it an IR blaster connected to your computer? What is the Xbox One's "jack"? Does it require two-way communication?

Rhody

Post by Rhody » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:28 pm

I went through the setup again using "HP" as the brand. It succeeded in turning off my PC, and it is set up as "HP (remote code N1272)."

I realized that the problem I am having is that I use only OTA channels with sub-channels. I never knew that I cannot directly enter a channel number, because I always used the WMC TV guide. Sure enough, even with my remote entering a channel does not work.

I know I can remap channels, such as 4-1 to 4, 5-1 to 5, 8-1 to 8, 11-1 to 11, and so on. This might allow the OneGuide to work with the major HD channels. However, I do not know how it will handle sub-channels.

Rhody

Post by Rhody » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:53 pm

I got WMC to work with OneGuide. It turns out the device was set up properly. I just entered Microsoft as the brand and MediaCenter as the model. The problem, which many people with OTA antenna are having, was with the OneGuide set up for Antenna.

The solution is to choose a cable/satellite provider and remap the channels to match in WMC. So I picked AT&T U-Verse, chose my OTA channels as favorites, and remapped the channels in WMC. So, for example, I changed channel 4-1 (Fox) to 4-0 so it shows up as 4, and I changed 33-1 (CW) to 9-0 to show up as 9, which it is on AT&T U-Verse in my area.

The only issue is that not all OTA channels are on AT&T U-Verse, so I will have to pick up the remote to watch LiveWell, Cozi, AntennaTV, Bounce, This, Grit, and a few others. These are SD channels that I hardly ever watch, so I'm fine picking up the remote to watch those channels.

I hope the Xbox team fixes the Antenna OneGuide, but for now this solution works.