Recordings started an hour & a half early!

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 am

Attachments
DlinkY2K012Fix.JPG

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 am

Crash2009 wrote:Bingo! I think you found the problem Mike. Y2K-012 Bug.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=51932.0

After you get the new router set up, you might want to try the new modem again. Maybe the router was affecting the results of your last attempt.

You can bug me any time.
When I was trying the new modem with AT&T on the phone I was not using the router. I'm not sure of how/why using a modem in bridged mode works, but from what I know it seems you have to put most modems in bridged mode if using a router - except for the SpeedStream 5100b. No changes are needed whether using a router or not according to AT&T. They explained why but I did not fully understand. I have one address for the modem & one for the router & can access either one at any time in order to check the status, etc.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:04 am

Crash2009 wrote: Page 65 ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-601/R ... .00_EN.PDF

Looks like your router can be the "Time Server"
Sorry, another question.

How do I set the router as the "Timer Server"? I don't see any settings in Windows & did Google this, but the results typically had to with a Windows server or they did apply.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:19 pm

I’m still looking on how to use the router as a time server.
This says “a router is not an accurate source of time information”
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1464/con ... tp_server/

If I create a Windows scheduled task to update time every day then I should not use the router as a time source, presuming the above is true.

And how would I sync my Android tablet or cell phone to the router’s time? And what if a guest brings his tablet to my house & wants to use my wireless connection? I’m guessing all these devices have different times to various degrees yet they all work with my router.

I’m not trying to be argument or saying one should not have everything in sync. I do want to do things right. I’m just wondering how critical or necessary is it for all the times to be the exactly the same.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote: Page 65 ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-601/R ... .00_EN.PDF

Looks like your router can be the "Time Server"
Sorry, another question.

How do I set the router as the "Timer Server"? I don't see any settings in Windows & did Google this, but the results typically had to with a Windows server or they did apply.
I was incorrect when I suggested that. Your router can only get the time from a Time Server. You have 2 choices.
  • Set the router to get the time from the Time Server
or
  • Set the router to get the time from the HTPC
Since that router obviously has some clock problems, I would set it to the 2nd choice. At least the time problem is fixable on the HTPC using SyncClock.zip Look for it in the link I gave you.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:00 pm

Mike88 wrote:I’m still looking on how to use the router as a time server.
This says “a router is not an accurate source of time information”
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1464/con ... tp_server/

If I create a Windows scheduled task to update time every day then I should not use the router as a time source, presuming the above is true.

And how would I sync my Android tablet or cell phone to the router’s time? And what if a guest brings his tablet to my house & wants to use my wireless connection? I’m guessing all these devices have different times to various degrees yet they all work with my router.

I’m not trying to be argument or saying one should not have everything in sync. I do want to do things right. I’m just wondering how critical or necessary is it for all the times to be the exactly the same.
Set the phone and tablet to get time from Network. When they get the IP from the router, they get the time. The router gets the time from the HTPC.

At my place, visitors only get access to CrashGuest2.4 Wifi, If they are screwed up, they are screwed up within the confines of the 2.4 GHZ Wifi. They don't have FULL NETWORK access, actually not much access at all. Basically they get a 2.4 IP and they are OUT on the internet. If they want to use anything on my network they have to go OUT to the internet, then back IN through the IN door. If they can't negotiate with the server guarding the IN door, tuff sh**.

My personal devices connect to Crash2.4 or Crash5.0, my devices have full access to anything. Crash2.4 and Crash5.0 are invisible (SSID is not broadcasted) and use MAC filtering (it's like a guest list at a wedding, if you are not on the list, you don't get in.) It's the router's job to check the list and boot intruders.