Xbox locks up during play

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
hipsterdoofus

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox locks up during play

Post by hipsterdoofus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:07 am

Hey all, this may not be specific to media center but i figured this was a good crowd for this question. I run an xbox 360 as an extender. Have never had any issues with it. Recently I changed some network hardware. What I did was add a wireless router between my internet gateway & my switch that all my devices are plugged into. So in theory (other than accessing the internet) my xbox is the same place it was on the network. It is on the same switch as my HTPC, which is a gigabit switch. After I made this change, I start playback on media center on the xbox and it locks up in a couple minutes. When I say lock up, you have to push the button on the xbox to turn it off, the remote does nothing. As near as I can tell, there is nothing weird going on with my HTPC, it still works fine. Now here is the caveat...my wife said my daughter was watching netflix on the xbox and it locked up earlier too, so maybe it isn't specific to WMC. I mean I would think it SOUNDS like a hardware issue potentially with the xbox, but it didn't start til added in that wireless router.

The only other difference now is that everything is on a new subnet than it was before. Anyway, I know, weird and not specifically WMC related but would love any suggestions!

hipsterdoofus

Post by hipsterdoofus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 am

Just a little note, after I posted this I found multiple examples of this issue. It would appear it has something to do with my new WD My Net N750 Router. See link here http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Net-Netwo ... d-p/624009 . Anyway, not really sure that there is anything that can be done or not, but very frustrating.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:11 pm

hipsterdoofus wrote:What I did was add a wireless router between my internet gateway & my switch that all my devices are plugged into.
It would appear it has something to do with my new WD My Net N750 Router.
Do you have the N750 plugged into both your internet gateway and the gigabit switch? If so, remove the connection to the switch and see if that alleviates the problem. (NOTE: You may lose the ability to have your wireless devices access the devices connected to the switch).

If you explain your network in more detail - maybe draw a diagram - someone may have some better ideas. What is your internet gateway (make/model)?

A quick Google shows you are not alone, but segregating the network components should get around this problem (kinda reminds me of the Galaxy S4/DMA2x00 problem: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=6973)

redlikemethodz

Post by redlikemethodz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:59 pm

First off. THANK YOU! for posting this. I was also aflicted by this crazy issue for months and it was driving me mad! I sold the used xbox I had and bought a new one even. I scoured the Internet looking for the reason why both my current xbox's froze. Then, I happened to run another test without having my xbox connected to the network at all. it ran for 24hrs straight. So I searched Google again but this time looked for freezing when connected to the network. Eventually I ended up here. I have an Asus RT-AC66R and my WD N900 connects to that just as a switch. My HDHR connects to the network via the N900. Last night when I removed the N900 from my setup, my xbox streamed via my Windows media center PC with no issue. MIND BOGGLING that it was an issue w/ the WD N900.