ESHELL.EXE Crashing During TV Playback

ogiewon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ogiewon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:59 am

Shotgun pulled out again... The system finally Blue Screened tonight for no apparent reason. Memory dump analysis does not indicate anything other than the windows kernel as the faulting module. I just ordered a new Gigabyte motherboard to replace the Asus one currently in the system. WAF has been dropping steadily over the past two months. Hopefully the new MB will solve this issue once and for all. I'll keep you posted on the results.

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Just wanted to provide an update... New motherboard installed one week a go. Reused everything else, including CPU and memory. I have not had EHSHELL.EXE crash since and the system is back to being very stable. Problem seems to be resolved...

Thanks for the tips and advice along the way.

jsalvatori

Post by jsalvatori » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:21 am

I'm having the same issue as described in this thread. Also had some power blips last week. Now recorded TV crashes the computer - no error given, just ram usage jumps to 99% and stays there. Killing ehshell makes it useable again.
removing all recorded TV files from the Recorded TV folder makes it stable, so I thought maybe it was a corrupted file or meta data causing the issue.
Recorded a new show last night, and the error has returned.
Erased the recorded file and reformatted the storage drive. Once again could go to recorded TV and all was fine. Went there tonight while it was recording a show, and the same symptoms appeared.

Any thoughts beyond replacing the mobo like the OP did?

Thanks.

jamiemthomas

Post by jamiemthomas » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:11 pm

I have also been having this problem 1-4 times per hour of video playback. Brand new Lenovo HTPC. No power outages or storms. Started 2-3 weeks ago after a month of flawless service.

As a software developer, I do not see how this could be memory or the SSD or anything hardware related. The error is a .NET WebException with the same stack trace every time. It appears to be trying to show a dialog of sorts and doing something messaging related when the error occurs. I plan to run Fiddler to see if this is really a network request gone bad or something else, but my guess it is Windows update or a data corruption that caused the sudden instability.

If anyone else has the same issue, please post, including the details from the Event Viewer, which include the stack trace information.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:04 am

jamiemthomas wrote:I have also been having this problem 1-4 times per hour of video playback. Brand new Lenovo HTPC. No power outages or storms. Started 2-3 weeks ago after a month of flawless service.

As a software developer, I do not see how this could be memory or the SSD or anything hardware related. The error is a .NET WebException with the same stack trace every time. It appears to be trying to show a dialog of sorts and doing something messaging related when the error occurs. I plan to run Fiddler to see if this is really a network request gone bad or something else, but my guess it is Windows update or a data corruption that caused the sudden instability.

If anyone else has the same issue, please post, including the details from the Event Viewer, which include the stack trace information.
You could have a look at perfmon /rel to determine when things got shakey.

Then go back to a time before the update by rstrui.exe

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:26 pm

I have no idea if this is related, but if you are using a SiliconDust HDHR Prime with a tuning adapter there is a known bug with the latest released firmware (20140604) that will cause ehShell.exe to crash when playing back a video. There is a beta release firmware that fixes the problem, although it is not clear which release that is. It is probably best to contact SiliconDust support.

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:40 pm

Space wrote:I have no idea if this is related, but if you are using a SiliconDust HDHR Prime with a tuning adapter there is a known bug with the latest released firmware (20140604) that will cause ehShell.exe to crash when playing back a video. There is a beta release firmware that fixes the problem, although it is not clear which release that is. It is probably best to contact SiliconDust support.
Wow! If this is true, I owe you big! Looks like it's time to contact the folks at Silicondust!

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:04 pm

ogiewon wrote:
Space wrote:I have no idea if this is related, but if you are using a SiliconDust HDHR Prime with a tuning adapter there is a known bug with the latest released firmware (20140604) that will cause ehShell.exe to crash when playing back a video. There is a beta release firmware that fixes the problem, although it is not clear which release that is. It is probably best to contact SiliconDust support.
Wow! If this is true, I owe you big! Looks like it's time to contact the folks at Silicondust!
I assume by your response that you DO have the Prime with the latest released firmware and a tuning adapter :) Although I thought, from you last post, that you had solved your problem with a new motherboard.

Here is a thread on the subject: http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 41&t=17994

Also, here is a thread with beta firmware, although it does not mention this particular bug, so it is up to you if you want to try it before contacting SiliconDust support: http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... =19&t=2484

WARNING: There is no way to revert back to an older firmware on the Prime.

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:49 pm

Yes, my system stability did improve after the new MB, however a few weeks after I posted that I felt the problem was resolved, it showed its ugly head for about two days...then all quiet for a while. I decided to take the plunge and upgraded to the latest Beta release. So far, so good.

Fingers crossed! Thank you so much for your post in this thread!

Space

Post by Space » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:34 am

You're welcome!

The only reason I knew about this bug is that I was recently considering upgrading the firmware on my Prime from 20140121 to 20140604 and was doing research to see if there were any issues with the current firmware that I should be concerned with. I decided that there was no advantage to upgrading at this point since the 20140121 firmware was working just fine. The next firmware release is supposed to have some extra feature (the beta you have should also have these features) so I will consider an upgrade to that version as some point after it is officially released.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:15 pm

My personal recommendation is that no one should ever get the 6/4 release firmware for a prime and wish SD would completely pull it off their server... what is strange is that the betas from just before that worked fine. The betas released shortly after in June fixed most issues that cropped up in the June release, the September betas broke things again (mainly TA issues with dlna, however they did "fix" things if you happen to have a new prime (since May) and needed to get it to work with a Moto/Arris TA) and the October betas were very good... I haven't had enough time or seen enough feedback yet on the new November beta to recommend it yet but so far so good for my test system.

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:30 am

Th Beta is working well for me too. I agree it is too early to declare victory yet.

LowAmmo

Post by LowAmmo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm

For those weary to take a beta build, looks like SiliconDust just released an official version, yesterday (20141124) -
http://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/

I am VERY hopeful this works! This issue has been bugging me for the last month, and was just about to try another rebuild effort!

-Thanks to all who investigated the issue before me!

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:26 pm

LowAmmo wrote:For those weary to take a beta build, looks like SiliconDust just released an official version, yesterday (20141124) -
http://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/

I am VERY hopeful this works! This issue has been bugging me for the last month, and was just about to try another rebuild effort!

-Thanks to all who investigated the issue before me!
Thanks for the update. My system has been fine for the past 2.5 weeks using the beta. I am going to leave well enough alone for now. Please post your results using this new 20141124 Release. I'd love to hear your feedback especially after a few weeks of run time.