What is current favorite WMC remote control?

mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 pm

crickard62 wrote:The Inteset looks great - does anyone know if it will work with the XBox 360 S and Ceton Echo extenders? If so, with or without the IR receiver?
Yep. No need to buy an IR receiver unless the Echo is hidden behind the TV. Built-in IR - yes, Inteset receiver - yes, MCE - yes, Ortek - if you learn from the Ortek remote, Diamond - if you learn from the Diamond remote, MCE alternate address - Xbox and MCE address 1, other address must be learned from the Echo remote. Of course any codes can also be learned or loaded via JP1 cable and software.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Yes it works for echo without it, 360 should be the same. Only time you need a dongle is for PC.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:11 am

Just because of the insanely low price, I have to put another JP1 remote on the list. The Xsight Color is now only $17 shipped on ebay, and is a lot of remote for the money. It adds an LCD display for pages and pages of soft buttons/macros/activities/favorites, motion triggered backlight, includes a programming cable (programs via the web like Harmony or with Remote Master), 15 device, multiple favorites lists with channel logos (around 70 I think), unlimited macro steps including pauses and holds, customizable help system, and editable activity macros. For $30, step up to the Xsight Touch and get RF, 18 devices, touchscreen, rechargeable battery and charging base. These do have a small audible click, so might not be as ideal for a bedroom as the Inteset.

These were originally $150 and $250 remotes respectively, comparable to the Harmony One and Harmony 900. Like all JP1 remotes, you can backup/load as many configs as you like on your PC, import pronto hex, and create your own devices from learns or codes found elsewhere. Basic device setup can be done entirely on the remote. (None of the above can be done on a Harmony). Any advanced programming like activities and favorites is done on a PC. Has built-in codes for just about everything.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:23 am

mdavej wrote:motion triggered backlight
My Xsight Colour doesn't have a motion-triggered backlight!

(The Xsight Plus does; the Xsight Lite doesn't; I don't know about the Xsight Touch.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Yes, I've seen reports of that before. Apparently the European version is missing the motion switch. Maybe the "u" in Colour broke it ;-)

The cheap ones on ebay right now do have the switch, both Color and Touch. At least the last 9 I've bought so far have had it.