Can't view Live TV if >4 recordings running

webminster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't view Live TV if >4 recordings running

Post by webminster » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:53 am

I'm seeing a weird problem on a new Win7x64 WMC build... Have a couple of HDHR Primes installed, and have run TunerSalad and Live TV setup. Thought everything was OK...

Tonight I had 4 recordings running simultaneously, and tried to tune Live TV. WMC went to a blue screen (not The Blue Screen),, showed the channel info, and just sat there (like just showing background). Nothing.

A little later when a recording or two finished, was able to tune a channel. I also noticed the problem on an extender - had 3 things recording, live TV on main screen... went to extender to tune TV, and got nothing but a background, no TV.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Thanks in advance.
-Alan

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 am

Asking for live TV at that point is supposed to give you a screen letting you choose what to do--which recording you want to cancel, or cancel your request for live TV.

That screen is not coming up. Not sure why.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am

I could be way off as I'm a Brit, but I thought the Prime units had 3 tuners each?

Have you checked the sources for each channel to make sure all tuners are set to be used?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:39 am

^ of course that still wouldn't explain the blank screen, if there are only 4 tuners set for a channel then you should get the screen that Adam described....!

Maybe check the sources and turn on the preview function to make sure each tuner is actually tuning?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 pm

I have 2 primes, so 6 tuners. All tuners are listed in the channel setups, and I've seen up to 5 running at once. Issue is that I get no tuner conflict screen - just the WMC background, no indication a tuner is requested or allocated, and no error screen (or event log message) - it stays like that indefinitely.
-Alan

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 pm

anybody else on the network think they own the other 2 tuners?

mjktg99

Post by mjktg99 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:52 pm

So I don't have the same cause but I do have the same issue... I have 2 W7 PC's that I use for TV. My main one and the 2nd is in my bedroom. The bedroom PC goes to sleep when I am not using it. More often then not, when I wake the PC I get the blue screen you are referencing. It shows the tv info. No Tuner conflict warning. My prime is not using all 3 tuners. And it only happens when waking from sleep. As soon as I reboot the PC, it resolves itself.

Like someone else mentioned, I wonder if it has something to do with the PC thinking it doesn't have control of the tuner when in fact it actually does.. maybe that's why there is no tuner error message. Been driving me nuts for a while...

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:23 am

I read that with the HDHR Prime software you did not need to use tuner salad to increase the number of tuners, the SD software does that.
There is a setting in the HDHR Prime tuner setup that is for how the tuners are pooled, the default is auto i think, maybe you should try some other setting.

The only other thing i can think of is the HDHR Prime makes a TCP icslap connection to the WMC PC for each channel in the list of channels. In my case i have over 500 channels so each PC makes over 500 connections to the tuner. In your case you have two PC and Two tuners, so if you had 500 channels then you would have 2000 Network connections being made just at idle of only the tuners. Make sure your router is not limiting your connection some how. Best layout is have everything connected to a switch and the switch connected to the router so the router is not limiting the streams, this is important with 4 or more streams at one time. If you torrent also that could add 1000's more connections, some routers can choke over time with to many connections.

I use TCPview.exe

Also read this
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 43&t=10887

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 am

I'm suspecting the tuner issue was a red herring... I've since applied the hotfix for KB2746119 on the machine and rebooted... Haven't had the issue since.
-Alan