UK Sky HD and HTPC DVR duties....

For country-specific questions and topics regarding Media Center
holidayboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

UK Sky HD and HTPC DVR duties....

Post by holidayboy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:27 pm

So I have to admit that I'm well out of touch with the whole HD / Sky card entitlement thing these days...

I have an old (white I think!) Sky card from about 5 years ago that is now set up as a FreesatFromSky card in a Dreambox purely to keep it alive - I don't use it to actually watch anything.

I was using the Dreambox in conjunction with DVBLink etc for a while but I think that Sky broke the old Sky3 channel (Pick TV?) and at that point, I stopped trying.

I (as in the other half!) might be interested in getting a Sky HD package and I believe that the latest round of cards / box updates broke the auto entitlement function for a lot of folks.

If I do go for Sky HD, am I better off just using a Sky box on input 2 of my TV? Or is there a solution out there that will let me use my HTPC for DVR duties?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated! :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:07 pm

I think the cardsharing of hd has been broken...
Lee

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

I thought that may be the case, thanks :(
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:39 pm

That said rob you might be able to get hbo go& showtime etc.. Thru unodns online soon then who needs sky? Sky Atlantic is the only decent channel isn't it??
Lee

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:19 am

I'm still using sky through media Center with oscam/dvblogic.

Generally works great. Use a 360 extender for multi room playing and remote potato/media browser for viewing whilst on the move anywhere in the world.

My only issue is...no HD! Such a pain...

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Yep, we still use Sky here.

unfortunately we moved back to cccam on my db, and every so often we get pixellation.

Wbroadley, do you have oscam still updating your entitlements? If so, have you needed to put your $ky card back in your STB since they changed the encryption that removed the HD channels?

Thinking of trying oscam again, to get rid of the pixellation, but wonder if it will keep the card alive!

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:40 am

Sometimes it does update the entitlements, sometimes it doesn't. In 1 year I've had to put it in the sky box 2 times I think.

It doesn't take long to solve by putting the card into the sky box and reactivating.

Heard any news on how to fix the HD problem?

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:00 pm

wbroadley wrote:Sometimes it does update the entitlements, sometimes it doesn't. In 1 year I've had to put it in the sky box 2 times I think.

It doesn't take long to solve by putting the card into the sky box and reactivating.

Heard any news on how to fix the HD problem?
ok - I may try going back to oscam then, and see how we get on... I'll keep the cccam config files, since they do update, or maybe I'll update CCcam version first off, and see whether that resolves the stuttering ;-)

Nope, not heard anything about resolving the HD encryption yet :-(

Thx
Tony