NO WMC TV Signal using Ceton Pci-e 6 tuner cablecard

stixsloan

HTPC Specs: Show details

NO WMC TV Signal using Ceton Pci-e 6 tuner cablecard

Post by stixsloan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:41 pm

TWC has replaced our Cable Card device and testing signals. Still not showing live TV thru Windows Media Center WMC after retuning, disabling tuners, rediscovering tuners and resetting WMV tv signals to cable card. TWC rep able to verify signal is strong and proper, however we're still not seeing tv signal thru WMC. we've disabled WMC thru MS Programs links and re-enabled. We've checked the network bridge per Ceton FAQ page suggestions. We've retuned and show channel guide multiple times while Ceton Diagnostics app shows device working properly and signal picking up various imputted channels.

Please provide us with some direction from here. Ceton cards were tuning and recording files completely OK for past 2 months and on 7/10, all video stopped being viewable thru WMC with no notification or errors except thru WMC program error alerts indicating record events unable to record due to no TV signal.

Thank you - hoping someone will provide me with an answer. We are still unsuccessful in obtaining a TV signal. There are a few other items our IT folks have done to attempt to get WMC to recognize the Ceton device TV signal per suggestions from Microsoft FAQ pages online regarding issues with tv signal on WMC application.

We've already tried this Microsoft suggestion several times:
You may try these steps to reinstall Windows media Center.
a. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.
b. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.
c. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Center". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.
Note : You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.
d. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -on-or-off

Is there any way that we can find out what is happening and why WMC will NOT see the TV signal from the CETON device, as it did from the time period of April 15 thru July 11? We have Ceton HD video files during this time period in the WMC directories, so we are trying to resolve why WMC just stopped seeing the TV signal from Ceton device all the sudden.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 am

Lots of info, but begs the question: What are you seeing when you try to tune a channel in WMC? Blank screen? Error message? Anything?

As you mentioned TWC, many regions have been going through the digital transition recently. Have you gone through the Guide Setup to see if there are additional lineup options in your area?

Any hardware/software changes to the HTPC around 7/10?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 am

Also run digital cable adviser and this (from IE):

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Ind ... ndivit.asp

Does your area now use tuning adapters? What's the cable card status in diagnostics? On the diag page for each tuner, is DRM green or red?
Last edited by mdavej on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:54 am

And lastly, have you opened a ticket with Ceton support and posted a diagnostic from your machine... that should be one of your first moves.
-Alan

stixsloan

Post by stixsloan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Try to answer several replies at once here:
Webminister: Yes, opened ticket to Ceton and have sent 3 diagnostic files. they say remove from domain and remove other Hauppauge cards. My question back to them, was why was system recording perfectly for almost 3 months with Ceton and Hauppage cards running simulataneously and now all sudden a stop. Waiting on answer.
SMCMillen2: When we go to view Live TV - we just get error message that says system can't find TV Signal or tuner. However Ceton diagnostics tell me otherwise and when attempting to test various channels on Ceton tool - all come up sucessful.
MDavej: ran the WMC digital cable adviser multiple times with same result. TWC tells me the signals for analog for the market are still turned on and they don't plan on turned them off anytime soon on any of their dvr's, coax or cablecard systems. I will test the DRM license link you sent and see - but don't think that's the issue. Unless there was some Microsoft Windows update around 7/10 timeframe that has changed alot of this issue.

thanks to all for any feedback - by the way. it's much appreciated.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Have you tried rebooting the computer?

We just switched to TWC from FiOS, and started to see the same issue, with "no TV signal" error. Rebooting PC resolves the issue for a couple of days, and then it is back. I am logging everything for the future ticket submission to CEton, But have a feeling that is more related to TWC than Ceton, since it worked just fine with FiOS.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:47 pm

I had a similar issue with bogus no signal errors. DRM turned out to be the culprit in my case.

I don't know if TWC uses TAs at all, but my cable system used them regardless of analog.

IMO symptoms point to TA or DRM. Can't explain what caused it to fail so suddenly if nothing changed.

stixsloan

Post by stixsloan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:15 pm

Bludiedgod: Yes - can't tell you how many times I've rebooted this cpu. still same results everytime. TWC sees the 6 tuners, confirms the cablecard ID and activation - yet no signal. Who can tell me where to find or source the DRM issue? not familiar with where to look for this.

MDavej: TWC rep when he was in tested all our coax feeds - says we're getting signal to the card. even put the old card back in and said the same thing. so according to them, we're getting a signal. that is where they stop. they say they are not supporting a software program - but the signal. Not sure what TAs is - maybe a quick explanation. thank you

Since yesterday - I've moved CPU off the domain and logged in just as the computer administrator. Going to work on this some more today to see what the swell is going on. Suffice to say - why does WMC make things so danged difficult????

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm

stixsloan wrote:Bludiedgod: Yes - can't tell you how many times I've rebooted this cpu. still same results everytime. TWC sees the 6 tuners, confirms the cablecard ID and activation - yet no signal. Who can tell me where to find or source the DRM issue? not familiar with where to look for this.

MDavej: TWC rep when he was in tested all our coax feeds - says we're getting signal to the card. even put the old card back in and said the same thing. so according to them, we're getting a signal. that is where they stop. they say they are not supporting a software program - but the signal. Not sure what TAs is - maybe a quick explanation. thank you

Since yesterday - I've moved CPU off the domain and logged in just as the computer administrator. Going to work on this some more today to see what the swell is going on. Suffice to say - why does WMC make things so danged difficult????

When I go into diagnostics on the Ceton tuner web page, I see that TA is functioning (steady green light), and is getting decent signal. All the tuners are showing "green" WDRM or whatever it is called.

Rebooting Tuner or the TA does not help, but rebooting PC without rebooting tuner and TA does fix it.

It really is puzzling.

My wild guess of the day is that Ceton tuner is not communicating the channel request to the TA properly.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:04 pm

stixsloan wrote:Bludiedgod: Yes - can't tell you how many times I've rebooted this cpu. still same results everytime. TWC sees the 6 tuners, confirms the cablecard ID and activation - yet no signal. Who can tell me where to find or source the DRM issue? not familiar with where to look for this.

TA= Tuning Adapter. If TWC uses switched digital video, you need a tuning adapter. It is a little box that has cable into it then out to the tuner card and also has a USB connection to computer.

I had an issue similar to this a while back and it was an issue with the tuning adapter constantly resetting itself. Shutting down the tuning adapter for awhile seemed to fix it.

If you don't have a tuning adapter, it could be that they have switched to SDV and now need one.

scowie

Post by scowie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:24 am

Try this...

Go to "View network status and tasks page" in Control Panel and set the network to "Private/Home" rather than the "Public" it probably has currently (click "customize" on the right).

Windows will block discovery of network devices when the network is marked as public which can preventing WMC from accessing tuners.