TV recording schedule restore

arcsum68

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV recording schedule restore

Post by arcsum68 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 am

Hi all.

I was unfortunate enough to finally cave and wipe/reload my MC after 4 years of running mostly smoothly due to some lag issues I had been having on Sept 12.

The reason it was unfortunate was that it took me a few days to discover the thread below.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=7861

After wiping it out and starting over a few times I finally found out the issue was not my HTPC but rather something else. Anyway I am now unable to restore my recordings schedule. I have tried the manual method located at hackmc7 and also had a backup using MCEbackup3.0 but nothing is working. I though it was maybe related to not being able to update the guide correctly, but that is now fixed.

Any Suggestions?

I actually swapped drives, so I could swap back and try Seans Backup tool, but would prefer not to.

Here's the manual method I tried
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/backup-a ... edule.html

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Are you sure you have the right backup file that you are trying to load into the data store? You copied out the recordings file from the folder in Program Data>Microsoft>eHome>mcepgX-X>backup>recordings ? A file named with the date it's from, similar to this: 20140917_055222 that has no extension?

Then you have to use the loadmxf.exe tool to load the backup file into the MC guide data store? You have to use the loadmxf tool at a command prompt with the -i argument and then the location and name of your backup file. if you add the -v argument, you should get more details of the process while it runs.

arcsum68

Post by arcsum68 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:35 pm

oakley516 wrote:Are you sure you have the right backup file that you are trying to load into the data store? You copied out the recordings file from the folder in Program Data>Microsoft>eHome>mcepgX-X>backup>recordings ? A file named with the date it's from, similar to this: 20140917_055222 that has no extension?

Then you have to use the loadmxf.exe tool to load the backup file into the MC guide data store? You have to use the loadmxf tool at a command prompt with the -i argument and then the location and name of your backup file. if you add the -v argument, you should get more details of the process while it runs.
The only thing I was not clear on is if both tuners should be restored, I tried both doing both and also doing just the newest file.

Per the instructions I created and then ran shortcuts so I have the exact path.

C:\Windows\ehome\loadmxf.exe –i C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-1\backup\recordings\20140912_034408

Maybe I should do this right from the command prompt rather than a shortcut?
Do I need to restore both tuners or just 1 with the newest file?

Thanks!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:37 pm

I have always used Sean's backup/restore tool with great success.. http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/
After you restored the file did you run a manual guide update? I believe you have to open Tasks/Settings In the TV section under Guide (I'm not in front of my WMC machine atm to be exact) but you need to initiate a manual guide update/download and that usually restores the series recordings. ( at least it does for me after restoring a backup with sean's utility.)
good luck!
newfiend~

arcsum68

Post by arcsum68 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Figured it out!

I copied the command line from the link into my shortcut, when I copied into command prompt it was giving me an error that the -i argument was wrong. When I typed it out manually I realized the dash was not interpreted correctly when copied from the web page, it was a longer dash.

After loading the file and updating the guide, I know have my scheduled recordings back!

Last question, do I need to only do 1 of the tuners for this to work? Looks OK to me, but I am not sure what the family has setup to record.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:22 pm

That's good that you got it to work. The web page you copied it from is old, so I doubt anyone will change the article to use the proper hyphen. Maybe more people have had that same issue.

There is only the one recording schedule, so you don't load it in for each tuner. The MC logic just uses all the tuners it needs for the recordings that are scheduled.

arcsum68

Post by arcsum68 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Yep, thats for the help, if nothing else I was encouraged to keep trying.

When the tool failed to work and didnt spend too much time on the manual method.