Wireless media bridges when wired network unavailable

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
cwinfield

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wireless media bridges when wired network unavailable

Post by cwinfield » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I've been using a Trendnet TEW-680MB 5GHz 450 Mb N and now Linksys WUMC710 AC 1300 Mb fox xbox360 WMCX and echo for nearly 2 years and both work well. I would recommend either for someone trying to do wireless extender. Anybody else out there have any wireless extender experiences or product recommendations?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:58 am

Do you have coax in the walls? Why not use a MoCA adapter instead?

wired > wireless
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:05 am

I did look at a couple of moca adapters and came away unimpressed with what was available eg http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... 7AodEBEAoA, they seem low quality. Like I said I am satisfied even using 5Ghz wifi N 450mb. BTW I got the WUMC710 1300AC WMB for $40. Looking at moca specs is only 270 Mbs one way/ 175 Mbs bi directional.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:28 pm

I think the best wireless product on the market is the Apple Airport Extreme.

https://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:18 pm

cwinfield wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I've been using a Trendnet TEW-680MB 5GHz 450 Mb N and now Linksys WUMC710 AC 1300 Mb fox xbox360 WMCX and echo for nearly 2 years and both work well. I would recommend either for someone trying to do wireless extender. Anybody else out there have any wireless extender experiences or product recommendations?
Back in the early/mid 2000's I played with 2x Belkin range extenders. While they increased the coverage for the G-wireless (top tech at the time), they were still subject to interference. I scrapped the whole idea and wired the house.

We have since moved from 1500 ft² house into a 3,000 ft² house and single wi-fi router was not cutting it for portable devices. I wired the second house, as well. But, to increase wi-fi signal, we are using 4 additional routers turned Access Points on thee wired backbone, to provide complete and uniform wi-fi coverage.

I have never found wi-f to be reliable enough for TV. While your set up has been working for you, it may have simply been the function of your neighbors not getting AC wireless. Once they do, you will be in the same boat as people with B, G, then N wi-fi.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:48 pm

I was using the built-in 2.4Ghz N wifi on the XB360 until last winter with no issues at all. Then, after over a year of working fine, I began getting a ton of latency and interference. The bandwidth test on the extender would dip below the SD mark. When I did a wireless site survey, I found a few more 2.4GHz networks that were never there before. Methinks my neighbors may have finally installed wifi routers in their homes. (Welcome to the 21st century!)

When I surveyed the 5GHz spectrum, I found that I was the only 5GHz network on the block. (I have a simultaneous dual band Cisco E3000) At this time, I realized that the 2.4GHz spectrum was getting a little crowded on my street, so I ended up getting a Netgear N900 4-port bridge (WNCE4004) and wired my XB360 into it. While I was at it, I bonded 2 channels to get more bandwidth on my 5GHz network.

This Netgear bridge has worked very well for me. I think I have only had to power cycle it once in the last 8 months and HD streams work as well as always. The only difference I notice between wired and wireless is a slight delay in the Guide and WMC menus. Basically a couple tenths of a seconds slower between button presses when using wireless vs wired.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:15 pm

UCBearcat wrote:I was using the built-in 2.4Ghz N wifi on the XB360 until last winter with no issues at all. Then, after over a year of working fine, I began getting a ton of latency and interference. The bandwidth test on the extender would dip below the SD mark. When I did a wireless site survey, I found a few more 2.4GHz networks that were never there before. Methinks my neighbors may have finally installed wifi routers in their homes. (Welcome to the 21st century!)

When I surveyed the 5GHz spectrum, I found that I was the only 5GHz network on the block. (I have a simultaneous dual band Cisco E3000) At this time, I realized that the 2.4GHz spectrum was getting a little crowded on my street, so I ended up getting a Netgear N900 4-port bridge (WNCE4004) and wired my XB360 into it. While I was at it, I bonded 2 channels to get more bandwidth on my 5GHz network.
I tried the same with my xbox360-s but found that it's 150 mb internal was too low of bandwidth which is why I ended up getting the Trendnet TEW-680MB.