Ceton GPL Request

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
electronrancher

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton GPL Request

Post by electronrancher » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello,

I see the page at http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/open_source/ and I believe it is incomplete with regards to Ceton's modified NetBSD distribution on the Echo. While I understand that there is non-free licensed code in the device, I believe that Ceton is obligated to provide the rest of the GPL code that is not subject to those restrictions.

The upside - congrats to Ceton on what appears to be a linux device operating in conjunction with MCE. Frankly, an astounding feat!

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 pm

[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][THUMBS UP SIGN]

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Urgh must not reply with emoticons after beer :)

electronrancher

Post by electronrancher » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I would like the ceton to connect to other media servers and play those media as well. For example, plex. To determine possible interoperability between these systems, I'd like to request the rest of the GPL code for the Echo.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:33 pm

Have you tried formally requesting it via their support ticket(s)? This way, they couldn't turn a blind eye to your forum posts. Submit one request via an Echo support ticket and an InfiniTV support ticket.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:13 am

It was an oversight that this was never posted - it's now available at http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/open_source/

Though the OP's comments about NteBSD confuse me as we don't use NetBSD and even if we did, BSD licenses do not require source to be re-distributed.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

electronrancher

Post by electronrancher » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Thanks for the reply and correction, and obviously the upload. Cheers to you guys!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:37 am

I appreciate Erkotz's efforts to get this done. Hey Eric, ever thought about getting somebody working on Echo again?

I'd like to nominate Electronrancher. Do I have a seconder?

electronrancher

Post by electronrancher » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:34 am

Thank you, Crash2009 - that's very kind. But I'm mostly a hardware guy and I often have trouble finding which side of the makefile you feed into the punchcard machine. :)

Just for grins, I am still exceptionally curious as to how Ceton got MS to cooperate with a Linux box. I mean, they couldn't have provided a linux SDK, could they? It boggles the mind. So did you guys basically do this whole thing from scratch? And for the record - mine works flawlessly except for one issue I caused myself trying to bridge over wifi.

And last, if Ceton has any copies of the Android beta lying around I would sure be interested to try it. No warranty expressed or implied, and I am certainly not afraid of a brick. But putting a netflix app on this box would be the icing on the cake for the kids up in the bonus room.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:27 am

electronrancher wrote:Thank you, Crash2009 - that's very kind. But I'm mostly a hardware guy and I often have trouble finding which side of the makefile you feed into the punchcard machine. :)

Just for grins, I am still exceptionally curious as to how Ceton got MS to cooperate with a Linux box. I mean, they couldn't have provided a linux SDK, could they? It boggles the mind. So did you guys basically do this whole thing from scratch? And for the record - mine works flawlessly except for one issue I caused myself trying to bridge over wifi.

And last, if Ceton has any copies of the Android beta lying around I would sure be interested to try it. No warranty expressed or implied, and I am certainly not afraid of a brick. But putting a netflix app on this box would be the icing on the cake for the kids up in the bonus room.
Your very welcome. If you can ever figure out the MS/Linux connection you might just find the keys to the PlayReady. I keep forgetting the licensing and trust relationship they have. No wonder it's so "Hush, Hush". There is one or two Android Echo's around. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =21&t=6627

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:36 pm

electronrancher wrote:Just for grins, I am still exceptionally curious as to how Ceton got MS to cooperate with a Linux box. I mean, they couldn't have provided a linux SDK, could they? It boggles the mind. So did you guys basically do this whole thing from scratch? And for the record - mine works flawlessly except for one issue I caused myself trying to bridge over wifi.
The Extender SDK does use linux.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation