Networking problem? Or HDD issue? HELP!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Networking problem? Or HDD issue? HELP!

Post by newfiend » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Ok, This I don't get.. I will admit that networking isn't my strong suit. Anyway.. Here's my problem.
I can copy a large file fom my desktop pc to my HTPC over my network w/o issue. File transfer speeds are acceptable. It only takes a min or two to transfer a .mkv from one (Desktop PC) to the other (HTPC).
However if I try and copy the same file back from the HTPC to my desktop PC it takes close to an hour.. I don't understand why.

I am not sure if it's a networking issue or a problem with Windows..The reason I say that as pre SP1 I was able to enable AHCI in Windows. I did this by first installing Windows on my SSD in IDE mode then doing the registry change/bios change and rebooting. This gave me hot swapable drive options on the task bar etc.
Now Post SP1 I no longer have the hot swapable drive option on the task bar.. also I notice that my Extender lags a bit and I have to start it playing then rewind a bit to get enough buffer for it to play smooth.,.

I am not sure if this is an issue with AHCI drivers and my HDD/SSD or a networking issue...??
I am about due to format and reinstall Windows 7 on the HTPC.. I think this time I will unhook all the HDD's and just hook up the SSD .. Install Windows in IDE moce all the way to SP1 then do the registry /bios change and switch to AHCI mode.. Then add the HDD's back in one at a time.
Just want your input on what you would do or try?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
newfiend~

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 pm

So just to have a clear picture the SSD in in the HTPC...correct?

Gigabit network?

Do a read/write performance test on both drives and compare the numbers. The SSD should of course in theory be a ton faster than a traditional spinning disk. Perhaps the sata controller on the HTPC has an issue when reading from the SSD,

I'd start there.

And then work your way through the system. If read/write performance is good on thee SSD than start looking at the drivers for the nic.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Yes The SSD is in the HTPC. However All my recordings are on Western Digital Black Drives... a 1TB and a 2TB.. If I copy the file off my desktop PC.. which has 2 Raptor Drives in it to the 1TB drive (standard HDD) it copies fast.. But If i try and copy the same file off the 1TB back to the Desktop PC it takes forever.. All my drivers on both are up to date also.. I recently replaced my router also but i had this issue before i replaced it so it's not the router.

How can I do a read write performance test? And yes Gigabit network.. =)
Thanks!
newfiend~

STC

Post by STC » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Clutching at straws here especially with a difference of a few minutes to an hour but are you pushing or pulling the file when it takes an hour?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:33 am

I guess you would say pulling.. I am opening network on my desktop then the folder I store the file in right click, copy.. Then paste on my desktop on the desktop PC. .. Is that what your asking?

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:38 am

HD testing - http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/in ... est=HdTach

Network testing - http://www.ixchariot.com/products/datas ... check.html

You need to put Qcheck on both devices as it's an end to end tester.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:44 am

newfiend wrote:I guess you would say pulling.. I am opening network on my desktop then the folder I store the file in right click, copy.. Then paste on my desktop on the desktop PC. .. Is that what your asking?
Yes. When you push it slows down a bit.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10 am

Ok, after trouble shooting my HTPC for a day or so .. I figured out this from some online searching.
I enabled AHCI mode the last time I installed Windows 7. I did this prior to install in the Bios of my MB. Set the DVD drive as boot device and Installed Windows 7 on my SSD.
Everything went smooth. I then Installed Mobo Drivers and Video Card Drivers. Rebooted Ran Windows Update and installed all the Updates all the way through SP1.
Prior to SP1 On the system tray there was the option to disconnect my SATA SSD, and either of the Western Digital Black Drives. (I have a 1TB and a 2TB). AHCI mode is supposed to give you Hot Swapable Drive options and I had them Prior to Installing SP1.
Post SP1 The system tray no longer gives me this option. Is this now dissabled somewhere in Windows SP1 that has to be re-enabled to now work in AHCI mode? (Hot Swaping Drives)
This feature isn't something I am currently using so it's not a big deal I am just more curious than anything... And the reason I am curious is...
I have had poor Disk Performance IMO for awhile. After some research I found this KB article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
I opend Regedit and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci then clicked on start and the value was set at 0 (default for AHCI mode)
However the KB artice above mentions another registry option that needs to be changed here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV . I clicked on start and the value for it was still set at 3 when it should have been at 0.
I changed it to 0, exited the registry and rebooted.
Following the reboot.. My Extender no longer studders like it used to.. Copying files from the HTPC to my desktop is now super quick..all the problems I was having seem to be gone.
If you are having issues in AHCI mode with Disk performance I would check the KB article above, follow the instructions and see if it helps. I still have no hot swap options in the system tray but like I said I'm not using that feature so no big deal..Just curious why it's not there when in AHCI mode is supposed to enable it?
Thanks to all that had input for me on this.. I think I have it fixed.
newfiend~

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:47 am

i still have the disconnect media icon with SP1....have you hidden it?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:59 am

nope, not that i know of anyway.. I used to get the "safely remove hardware" option on the system tray and if clicked it would show the HDD/SSD's I could "disconnect".. now not there.. Just checked and it's not hidden or turned off that I can tell... just plugged in a jump drive.. the option pops up.. if i click it it only lists the jump drive as removable. Weird?
newfiend~