Microsoft to layoff 18,000 employees

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 am

My goal with going with Nokia up front was to get a cheap phone to try this out on, but I'm thinking ongoing that Nokia will be the Windows Phone equivalent of the pure Google Experience phones--like you said, updated and without a bunch of crap (although they do insist on putting their own HERE maps stuff on there).

I lay my GS3 problems at the feet of both Google and Samsung, for the reasons you outline. Imagine if you took your Lexus into the dealer for an important software update and the thing comes back bucking and jerking and getting half the gas mileage, and suddenly it can't tune in any of the radio stations or play any of your CDs. And the rear doors don't open anymore, so you're stuck transporting only 2 people max. Yeah, you'd be mad, wouldn't you. But Samsung did this without any shame, and continues to this day actively to deny that there are any problems.

I don't use the thing for play; I use it for work. I don't have time or patience for this stuff. My only experience prior to the GS3 was years of Blackberries tied to an Enterprise server. I loved what those things did for me for work. I didn't care about apps and entertainment crap. The BBs were pure functional goodness for what they were designed for. And real keyboards beat screen keyboards EVERY time. But I moved on to a company that was the polar opposite; "yeah, you need a phone, BYO, whatever you want". No enterprise level security, no remote wipe, nothing. Just be able to get Gmail and have voice service. Wow. OK, so I get a premium phone that ties into Gmail well--or so I assumed.

I miss the old BB keyboard. Even the new BB model, its physical KB sucks. BB has strayed from their roots, trying to play with the big boys.

oakley516

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by oakley516 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:32 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Well, I don't know anything about Nadella. I just feel sorry for 18K people who are losing their jobs. The corporations in America are becoming a big problem. I disagree with the SCOTUS. Corporations are not people and money is not speech. If that's the case, then "We, the people" has been hijacked by "We, the people with the most money" and I'm going to live somewhere else.
You might not want to choose Finland or Hungary as your new home. :(

It seems like countries in Europe will bear the brunt of most of the MSFT layoffs...instead of big, bad America:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudl ... ft-layoff/