WMC7 loses Resolution/Aspect ratio suddenly

Marc_G

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC7 loses Resolution/Aspect ratio suddenly

Post by Marc_G » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37 am

Hi folks,

I've got an established HTPC, running WMC with Media Browser Classic, connected directly via HDMI to my Panasonic 60ST60. It's been stable since I did a full reinstall last fall. I haven't monkeyed around with anything.

In the last week, I've noticed a new thing has started: when I leave it in WMC (either at the main blue WMC screen, or in Media Browser Classic interface), shut down the TV, and come back later, upon turning on the TV WMC comes up in what appears to be a different resolution. Everything appears bigger... it's like it has switched out of 1080p mode and gone to maybe 720p or something. Quitting WMC takes me to the desktop at normal 1080p resolution --so the computer itself hasn't switched resolution--, and restarting WMC brings it up as expected in 1080p. Launching content from WMC (Media Browser Classic) opens proper 1080p windows in MPC-HC which I use as external player.

I presume MS pushed some weird WMC update through... I should have made sure they were off. anybody else seeing this, or have any idea how to get this behavior to stop? Sort of messes up the WAF to have to restart WMC everytime we turn on the TV. The computer's normal state when we leave it is either at the WMC main screen or in MB3-Classic.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:23 pm

I had the same thing, I think it's an issue with HDMI losing sync when the TV is power cycled.

Before MS took over the old domain there was a fix on there. I can't find a working link but with a little Google-fu I did find the instructions to fix it:

I just bought a new receiver and started routing the HDMI output through the receiver and encountered the same problem - Media Center reset to 1024x768 after receiver/TV have been turned off and turned back on.

I believe I've found a relatively simple fix.

1. When this happens, immediately in Media Center go to the Tasks - and the Configure TV settings - YOU MUST DO THIS WHILE THE DISPLAY IS IN 1024X768 MODE
2. When asked if you want to change the display setting, enter yes
3. Scroll through the resolution list and select "List All" (since Media Center is confused about the current display resolution, it doesn't list 1080p in the initial list)
4. Scroll down towards the bottom of the resolution list and select 1920x1080, 60hz
5. And complete the monitor configuration (you can skip the "adjust" display controls steps)

At least in my configuration, this puts the display back into 1080p - and it has stayed - even after a reboot of the PC (with or without the receiver turned on) and after the receiver/TV have been turned off and turned on again.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I had the same issue when I got a new AVR. Getting the power up order and delays correct fixed the issue for me. Ideally, the PC should be the last in the chain to power up, but mine may be asleep or awake at any given time, so I couldn't change that. What I did was make sure the TV always powers up first, followed by a short delay, then power up the AVR. Works every time for me. To ensure the AVR always turns on last, I also turn it off between activities.

Before I did this, I would get crazy resolutions (too low or too high), crazy aspect ratios or no audio/video at all.

Marc_G

Post by Marc_G » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:47 am

mdavej- My TV is connected directly to the HTPC, no AVR in between for video (AVR handles sound only, due to being older model with no HDMI). Anyway, the HTPC is always on, and the TV routinely would be powered up while the HTPC was running. Never caused a problem until last week.

JTScribe- thanks so much for digging up this info. I will apply this process next time the problem happens. Oddly, after 4 days of straight "wrong resolution on turning on the TV" the problem has suddenly stopped, or at least gone on hold. But when it comes back I will do as you suggested. Thanks again!

I'll report back, next time the problem happens, and I apply the process.