Resetting WMC7 ?

Mike88

HTPC Specs: Show details

Resetting WMC7 ?

Post by Mike88 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:05 pm

What’s the difference between these WMC resets?

1) Media Center > Tasks > Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup > Run Setup Again.

2) running mcupdate.exe from the windows\ehome directory.

3) http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clearing ... enter.html

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon May 26, 2014 5:04 am

Not sure, but I did try # 3 last week (except I deleted the folder & file under safe mode) & had no problems setting WMC back up.
Mike88 wrote:What’s the difference between these WMC resets?

1) Media Center > Tasks > Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup > Run Setup Again.

2) running mcupdate.exe from the windows\ehome directory.

3) http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clearing ... enter.html

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:01 pm

choliscott wrote:Not sure, but I did try # 3 last week (except I deleted the folder & file under safe mode) & had no problems setting WMC back up.
It appears doing #3 does not affect your scheduled recordings or history. Is that correct?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon May 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Not sure where your getting #3 doesn't affect anything since it mentions to delete the .db file & .db folder in the Ehome folder (last part of the instructions).

#3 resets WMC fully. Imagine you running WMC for the first time & having to set it up, that's what #3 does. The exception is that I noticed was any installed add on, appeared in the menu & worked after setting WMC back up. I did however had to retag the channel logo's in My channel logo's for them to appear again, but that was about it.

It's good for when you want to clear off WMC & start from scratch, but not commit yourself to a full Windows re-install
Mike88 wrote:
choliscott wrote:Not sure, but I did try # 3 last week (except I deleted the folder & file under safe mode) & had no problems setting WMC back up.
It appears doing #3 does not affect your scheduled recordings or history. Is that correct?

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:11 am

choliscott -

Thanks for the clarification.

I just interpreted the title of the article to mean that if any stations have come or gone then the Guide would be updated to reflect those changes & the Tuner setup related to which channels sources are assigned to the tuners.

There are a couple stations that are in the guide but I don't receive any signal for them. Either they are low power ones or don't exist anymore or whatever. I thought I'd just wipe them from the guide listing but rescanning channels only adds channels, it does not seem to delete any. I know I can uncheck them so they don't show up, which I did long time ago. I just thought it would be nice to have an up to date guide listing in the first place.

Thanks again.