Linksys DMA 2100 weird HDCP hang on

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Linksys DMA 2100 weird HDCP hang on

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:01 pm

So, we've been using Linksys extenders for many years now. We just had a baby, and from the previous one, we knew that playing Mozart compilation calmed the baby down. Whether there is a lingering "Mozart effect" I am not sure about, but it surely makes them sleep through the night.

Anyway, like with the previous child, we have a set of computer speakers connected to the analog audio (L and R) of the extender, while the TV is connected via HDMI.

This way, you can watch TV while feeding/changing the baby and what not, and then, when it is bed time, set up the playlist and turn the TV off. The sound would continue to come out of the computer speakers.

We did not have premium cable last time we had an infant, but this time we do.

Turns out, that if you had watched HBO (or any other copy once protected content) and then set up the music playback, once you turn the TV off, music stops and you can hear Windows "ding".

There is a pop up on the screen that HDCP was broken.

The only fix, so far, has been to reboot the extender. Just logging out and back in did not work, but a hard reboot does.

It seems that once you view copyright protected content, HDCP handshake remains intact, even if you are not longer viewing said content.

Anyone know a work around that, other than reboot?

Thanks!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm

You could use component video, if your TV has component inputs.

hokie21

Post by hokie21 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:06 am

Put one of these between the TV and the DMA. It will appear to the DMA that the TV is "always on."

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

I'm using one of these to work-around a similar HDCP handshake problem between my cable box and TV.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

hokie21 wrote:Put one of these between the TV and the DMA. It will appear to the DMA that the TV is "always on."

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

I'm using one of these to work-around a similar HDCP handshake problem between my cable box and TV.
Thanks! I will try this.

Would this also cure the problem my sister is having with the HTPC not showing picture after the TV has been off for a few hours, and then turned back on. It just says no-input, and they have to reboot. It is like HTPC is not sensing that the TV is back on.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 pm

@blueiedgod: It might solve that problem too. Or, you could try Hdmi-Yo combined with EventGhost. STC wrote a post with instructions for this somewhere.