WMC doesn't like "Once Upon a Time"

captain_video

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC doesn't like "Once Upon a Time"

Post by captain_video » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:44 pm

I've had a really weird issue over the past few weeks. Whenever WMC records "Once Upon a Time" on ABC on Sunday night, it chops up the recording into multiple recordings. For some reason, it terminates the recording without warning and then starts recording it again immediately. This happens 5 or 6 times during the broadcast so I'm left with multiple small files. I end up having to resort to torrents to get the complete recording.

This happened two weeks in a row when recording via antenna using a Hauppauge 2250. I record other shows on the same channel with no problems. I switched over to the FIOS HD channel to record it this week using my InfiniTV 6 and the same thing happened, making it three weeks in a row.

I live between Baltimore and Washington, D.C., and I recorded all instances from the ABC affiliate in Baltimore. I plan to try recording from the D.C. affiliate via FIOS next week. The D.C. affilate broadcast tower is in a different location than the other towers and I use two fixed UHF/VHF antennas aimed in opposite directions to pick up both sets of OTA locals. I can't pick up the OTA D.C. ABC channel because it's outside of the receiving beacon for the other channels. I do get it on FIOS so I thought I'd give that a shot to see if it makes any difference. I have not had this problem prior to three weeks ago, and it has only occurred with this one program.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:06 pm

I had the same think happen a couple weeks in a row for Mixology, also on ABC. When I looked at the history it would say something like "stopped recording due to a schedule change" for the first segment, then for the others it would say it stopped due to some sort of failure. I searched the boards here and never really found an answers. It is very strange.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:14 am

I recorded Once Upon a Time last night using the D.C. ABC affiliate on the FIOS HD channel and this time got a normal, composite recording instead of multiple chunks. I meant to also record it via OTA and FIOS on the Baltimore affiliate for comparison purposes, but forgot to set up the recordings. I have a feeling that, for whatever reason, the local ABC station is broadcasting this show with a stronger signal than other shows on the same channel, causing my tuners to saturate and reset. The D.C. towers are about 30+ miles away whereas the Baltimore towers are less than 10 miles.