Library & Drive letter issue?

jaimeknapp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Library & Drive letter issue?

Post by jaimeknapp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 pm

I have a directory of videos on drive H: that when added to the Video Library will display its contents in MCE when sorted by date. All of my other Library locations (on Drives E: & G:) show properly. I have been through the process of removing and adding back in library locations and the issue persists. Interestingly, the same directory shared to other PCs all show the entire library contents properly with MCE.

I ran across a reference to common designator references here that caused me to think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_letter_assignment

Is it possible that there is something *different* about how Windows treats this drive designator differently and this could be alleviated by changing it from H: to F: ? I have my Recorded TV on this drive as well and do not want to go through changing its designator unless I have a better idea whether it could be the root cause.

Thanks for any input on this.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:08 pm

jaimeknapp wrote: I have been through the process of removing and adding back in library locations and the issue persists.
What method of adding and removing are you using?

I doubt WMC has anything against using any drive letter. A-Z

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:53 pm

I removed libraries both within MCE and through Windows Explorer, reset them to the default in Explorer, restarted Windows, then added the target directories back in one by one using Explorer; checking them with MCE at each step. Also, while I was doing this, XBox extenders were shut down.

I did not go so far as to delete the database files, not wanting to muck anything up with the three XBox extenders. Is it possible that the extenders just being configured could be interfering in this process and I need to remove them while building the library?

One other note: I created links within the viewable library to the desired target directories on H: They did not appear in the library on the main PC and its extenders, but did appear correctly in the libraries on the other networked PCs in MCE.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 pm

If you go to WMC Settings/Media Libraries/Videos/Remove Folders from the library.

What do you see on yours?
Attachments
Libraries001.jpg

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:03 pm

All of the target directories are displayed correctly in the MCE library add/remove task:

E:\Film-genre
E:\TV-Series
G:\AVLib\Video
H:\ArchiveTV
H:\Films-Seen

When I go to Video Library in MCE, sorted by folder, neither directory on drive H: appear.

If I change the sort order to "date taken" all of the files in the five library targets are there and playback properly.

I am truly stumped.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Well now you have me confused. You have posted in the Windows 7 Media Center section which is abbreviated as WMC. The abbreviation you are using is MCE, I know that as Media Center Extender.

Are you using Windows 7 Media Center (WMC) or not?

My question was not "What do you see in MCE" it was "What do you see in WMC"

Could you clear the confusion for me? What am I missing?

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Sorry for the confusion, but I am using Windows 7 Media Center, but I also have three XBox extenders that all show the same library results.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Crash2009 wrote:If you go to WMC Settings/Media Libraries/Videos/Remove Folders from the library.

What do you see on yours?
Can we get an answer then??????

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:20 pm

I am not in a position to grab a screen shot on the main PC. The spouse has it tied up. Believe me, this is what is shown correctly:

E:\Film-genre
E:\TV-Series
G:\AVLib\Video
H:\ArchiveTV
H:\Films-Seen

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Spouse finally took a break...

WMC video library task:
LibTask.jpg
WMC Video Library task
WMC video library view:
LibView.jpg
WMC Video Library view

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Unless things have changed since the last few times I set up libraries, it was quite simple. There was no Trick ___ing involved. All I do is setup the libraries in WMC. Then go to each extender and update.

Sounds like you mucked it up. I am open to correction though.

"I removed libraries both within MCE and through Windows Explorer, reset them to the default in Explorer, restarted Windows, then added the target directories back in one by one using Explorer; checking them with MCE at each step. Also, while I was doing this, XBox extenders were shut down."

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Yeah, you would think that even if I had mucked it up, as you so succinctly put it, deleting the WMDB files should have rebuilt itself with all of the library targets, which it did not.

There is a bigger issue involved as to why directories on this recently added internal drive refuse to appear in the WMC library on the LOCAL machine and extenders, but are properly included on two other PC's WMC libraries. I am beginning to suspect that it has something to do with the DH67CL's fifth SATA port, to which it is connected.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Everybody has different ways to get to the end result. It just seems like your way didn't work out this time. It's quite possible even Bill Gates couldn't get that working. I would imagine that even if you tried it my way, you would get the same result.

If you suspect the 5th Sata, possibly a Bios Update is in order. Looks like they have been working on Sata with every new firmware. 16 bios updates, wonder what they were trying to get working. No more since 2012. Hopefully they finally got it right.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22273/e ... eNotes.pdf

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Search ... ard+DH67CL

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:18 pm

This has gotten stupid. I have been religious with driver & BIOS updates in over 20-years of system building.