MediaBrowser 3 Live TV added to Roku Channel

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

MediaBrowser 3 Live TV added to Roku Channel

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:21 pm

I am not sure how I missed this? Published March 31st. I figure others may have not heard about it either. But looks like LIVE TV has been added to the client in the official release now. Anyone try it yet? How is it going?

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/inde ... v-on-roku/

shoffert

Post by shoffert » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:21 pm

I started looking into this a little while ago too. The Live/Recorded TV only works without DRM, right?

One of these days I'll have to figure out how to do without a cable package, then I could pull off something other than an xbox extender. But I have a sweet price at $58 for standard cable+internet+cablecard+tuning adapter. Basically paying for internet and getting cable for free.

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:42 am

I have this setup, but it crashes everytime, whether on the Roku or the browser setup. I don't mind being patient about it because it tunes slow and the Roku part has no guide. Potential replacement for media center in the future though. I would hope their guys and some of the hardware manus might hook up and make it better.

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 am

I love that some are taking this into their own hands, but at the same time it angers me, because Media Center had already done the hard part of this, which is the cable tv part. Streaming apps and remote server type systems seem to be popping up for every device and seem to be the easier part. Why has no one thought of trying to do that part for Media Center, or is it just that difficult to work with? Definitely very curious about that.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Can someone point me to what needs to be installed for the Media Center backend when it comes to getting the live-tv going? Thanks.

EDITED: I found this link?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PV ... /ServerWMC

Are we supposed to use the XBMC version?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:19 pm

Yes, XBMC and Mediabrowser use the same server program. Download "Install_ServerWMC-1134.zip" from here:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByNnAMYBo ... index.html
There is not much configuration to do on the server, just step through the tabs. Then setup LiveTV on the Mediabrowser side.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:25 pm

What he said (editied after we cross posted) :)

to the previous comment - YES, all the tuner, guide, cable card, etc. *IS* the hard part. Besides, why re-invent the wheel if you don't have to. Maybe now that there are more tuners that include a web server for the video stream in their firmware (and even can transcode to H.264), we may see this more directly integrated W/O needing MCE

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Great thanks guys. I will see how it goes.