Missed & Failed Recordings

EBH

HTPC Specs: Show details

Missed & Failed Recordings

Post by EBH » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Recently my Windows 7 media center has started to miss recordings and start some recordings late. Sometimes it doesn't wake from sleep to record. Other times when it is awake it also fails to record. Today I was watching a recorded program and stopped watching 10 mins after a scheduled recording should have started. The went to Recorded TV and saw that the program was recording, but it had only just started to record. Sometimes I see a message saying a recording could not start because no tuner was available, but I have a total of six tuners installed (2 DVB-S2, 2 DVB-T2 and 2 DVB-T)
I haven't installed any new software recently except possibly windows updates.
Can anyone suggest what I might check?
Thanks
Ben

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:48 pm

I think I would start with "checking all my time's"

EBH

Post by EBH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 pm

No. That's not it. It appears that if a recording has not started, then switching to live tv will start the recording.

Some but not all recordings are failing. But switching to live tv when a program should be recording fixes it.

I have turns off sleep mode. Does not help.

Event logs show "failure to record due to power fail or system malfunction". No further indication given. Power is not failing, so at leaves a "system malfunction". Could be anything, software or hardware. I suspect software because live tv works fine on all channels and I have no problem with signal strength.

Any suggestions as to what I could check or try next?

Thanks
Ben

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:25 pm

EBH wrote:Any suggestions as to what I could check or try next?
See my suggestion here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 267#p73267

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

EBH

Post by EBH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 am

CyberSimian wrote:
EBH wrote:Any suggestions as to what I could check or try next?
See my suggestion here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 267#p73267

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian,
I think you've cracked it. I opened Task Scheduler and a message came up saying the the StartRecording task was corrupted. I deleted all the tasks under Media Center and rebooted. I then opened Task Scheduler again but got the same message. Then I opened the tasks folder (c:\windows\system32\tasks) and found the StartRecording task in there. S I deleted it.
After another reboot, I fired up Media Center and tried to set a recording. But Media Center crashed.
I wonder if I deleted some of the wrong stuff. So I ran System Restore and wen to bed.
Later today I'll try just deleting the StartRecording task and see if that works. If not I'll restore from a backup from a time when recordings were working.

Cheers

Ben

EBH

Post by EBH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:39 pm

In the end I only needed to Delete the StartRecording file from C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center and re start media center.

New file created and recordings working.

Ben