WMC mute on resume - Hit or Miss

cugolfer33

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC mute on resume - Hit or Miss

Post by cugolfer33 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:37 pm

I have WMC on windows 8. Took a very long time to get my HTPC all set up and working corrently. Spent a year trying to perfect the stability for wife use. I recently purchased HDMI detective and that has worked wonders. No more do I have HDCP handshake issues and having to restart computer all the time. Now it seems there is one little issue. Upon resume, sometimes the computer is muted which I bet is sometype of handshake issue. I wrote a script to auto mute on resume but then realized its hit or miss when it auto mutes. What I have narrowed it down to is when I shut off receiver/tv/htpc all works on resume. But when I shut everything down during a recording (where htpc doesnt go to sleep) upon resume it auto mutes.

Any advice on how to get this fixed?

Ivy bridge i3 cpu with HD4600 graphics (no video card). Removed all sound devices.
Running WMC for live tv, plex for media server.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:40 pm

You can use EventGhost. Just create a macro that waits some time after the resume event, and then does the action "Mute OFF". It doesn't toggle mute, so it works even if the sound isn't muted.

cugolfer33

Post by cugolfer33 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:42 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:You can use EventGhost. Just create a macro that waits some time after the resume event, and then does the action "Mute OFF". It doesn't toggle mute, so it works even if the sound isn't muted.
I used eventghost in the past, I will reinstall it and try this.
Thanks!

cugolfer33

Post by cugolfer33 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:21 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:You can use EventGhost. Just create a macro that waits some time after the resume event, and then does the action "Mute OFF". It doesn't toggle mute, so it works even if the sound isn't muted.
So I installed eventghost and got it working but I seem to have problem I had before where eventghost stops working after resuming some sleep. Still hit or miss but I occasionaly still get the mute on resume.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Try disabling Away Mode. When your PC enters Away Mode, audio gets muted at that point. It's supposed to unmute upon resume, but that doesn't work consistently for me either. Away Mode is set in several places - advanced power options - media sharing, ceton diagnostics - advanced, and a couple of tabs in MST (if you're using that). The only caveat of not using Away Mode is that manually issued sleep commands (from remotes, keyboards, menu) will suspend even in the middle of a recording . To avoid this problem, I simply never sleep manually, but always rely on my sleep timers.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 am

I disagree with mdavej. If you turn off Away Mode, the PC will immediately go to sleep if someone manually presses the power/standby button on the PC/remote/keyboard... even if a recording is in progress or an extender is connected.

I've never experienced a problem with EG after resume.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:08 am

I agree, it will do that. But it will also keep it from getting stuck on mute. I've simply adapted to never pressing power or standby during recordings.

I did run across another solution though: http://www.argus-tv.com/wiki/index.php? ... S3_standby