(Suddenly) Only Good Signal Strength - Dead Prime?

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
dabretty

HTPC Specs: Show details

(Suddenly) Only Good Signal Strength - Dead Prime?

Post by dabretty » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi guys -

For the last week or so we've been seeing increased choppiness while watching TV. I started monitoring the Prime's internal page and looking at tuner status, and I noticed the "signal quality" bouncing around, despite very good signal strength (~9 dB). It just kind of came and went a few times. However, this morning we awoke to the WMC message of no TV signal. I looked at the Prime's page, and still see good signal strength (~9 dB), but now "none" for everything else in tuner status (including signal quality and lock).

Is my Prime dead?

Thanks for any help.

Brett

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Signal strength of plus or minus 9 could be improved. Zero is the best you can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wvAzjKx ... 8utCQ5cFgQ

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:07 pm

I agree that's on the high side, but that everything else shows "none" has me concerned (like something is dead). I would have thought that I'd get some sort of measurement (even if through the floor) at minimum. See attached screen capture of the tuner status while attempting to play a channel.

I initially added an amplifier - about two years ago - during Prime installation, in order to get OOB lock. I will pull that amp out and see what happens. I'm wondering if Comcast did some local work in my neighborhood - boosting signal levels - and that's taken me too high. I definitely don't recall +9-10 dB on the TV signal side. Currently (with amp) OOB is at +4.1dBmV.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Might have something to do with all that "Guide crap" we had this week. On my own system, I saw some errors this week that I have never seen. A few cold boots, re-boots and re-sets have since eliminated my errors. I didn't have to re-configure anything, or, add and/or subtract equipment.

Try the cold boots before making any changes.

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I tried a cold boot but without success (same symptoms).

I pulled out my amplifier, rebooted the Prime, and now it works. However, I'm anxious to see if it "really" works (time will tell). I have OOB lock but signal strength is at -11.4 dBmV, and the first channel I'm observing (ESPN) is at -5 dBmV. This spelled trouble for me long ago for a few channels (that seem to be naturally weaker), hence why I added the amp (+15 dB). I'll just have to watch it, which won't be a problem with March Madness!

If my +15 dB amp (Motorola BDA-K1-RA) is boosting too much, does anyone recommend something more in the +10 dB range? It stinks that I may be in no-man's land right now (without one I'm on the weak side, and with it I'm on the strong side).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:12 pm

I just thought of something. You can knock down your existing amp by 3.5 or 7.0 pretty easy. Just install a splitter between the amp and the tuner. Go down to Radio Shack and get a few RF terminators to plug the extra output on the splitter. A 3 way will reduce the signal by about (-3.5) A four way reduces about (-7.0)

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks for the great idea - not sure why that never crossed my mind! I actually already had the parts necessary stashed away.

Unfortunately I did just that (actually a 5-way splitter that I had laying around, -7.5 dB, and all unused terminated) and it's starting to look like my amplifier might be toast. As soon as I did that I had the Prime's OOB lock coming in and out, so I removed the splitter (back to just the amplifier) and plugged it in, and got the same as this new result (OOB lock coming in and out).

So I'm just going to get a new amplifier - probably +10 dB as you mentioned, or maybe one of the variable gain ones I've seen on Amazon. In the mean-time I'm limping along fine, with occasional issues (the signal is still on the low side). Thanks again for your help.

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Just updating this thread. I purchased a variable gain amplifier on Amazon - PCT 1-Port Variable Gain Signal Amplifier (MAB-1015-1AN-VGA) - and installed it last night. Prior to this - as already mentioned in here - my +15 dB amplifier was just too much, and without it I was with too little.

It works great. With smart phone in hand (showing the HDHRP tuner status page for a playing stream), I could dial down the amplification on this unit in my media enclosure until I was as middle-of-the-road as I could get (channels are in the range of approximately +3 to +4 dBmV, while OOB is at -2.5 dBmV). Playing various channels for an hour or so showed no issues remain.

Thanks for your help, Crash!